Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still no way to get measures in a Power BI Matrix in rows AND columns?

Hi all,

I know there has been recent updates to the Matrix visual in Power BI, but I still find it frustrating that I cant have measures in rows and in columns?

How can I produce a Matrix with KPI's such as gross margin in the rows, and years in the columns?  It's not allowing me to use measures in both

e.g Data layout

COL 1        Col 2              Col 3

FY20           Revenue        20 

FY19           Revenue        25

FY19           COGS            -10

FY18           GP                 15

E.g. FY20 measure filters col 3 by FY20

It's difficult to explain how great Power BI is to senior management when it can't even do basic things that excel has been doing for 20 years....

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, mate. Before you start using a tool, you should really spend some time to learn HOW TO PROPERLY USE IT and not force a square peg into a round hole. You wouldn't use a drill instead of a hammer, would you? These serve different purposes and they do it extremely WELL. Same is with Power BI, PQ, M and DAX.

The rule is that a matrix uses dimension attributes on its rows and columns, and inside it you can have measures whose values depend on the attribute selections. Right? Right. So, in view of this, ask yourself a question: What should I do to be able to put the years on the rows, then cross-join it with the names of measures I want to see and then have another column in which I'd show the values of the measures?

Well, first of all, you need a TABLE, not a matrix. Second, you need to have a parameter dimension that will hold the names of the measures you want to use. Then you need a DAX measure that will be aware of your selections in the parameter dimension. If you add this all up, you should be able to craft the solution.

Please, always remember to THINK LOGICALLY and always know the strengths as well as the weaknesses of the tools you use.

Best

Darek

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors