Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CLeDane
Frequent Visitor

Std. Dev. for a Monthly SUM

I need a measure that will calculate the std. deviation for a monthly sum. For instance, I have several costs posting to the same account in the first four months of this year. I would like to take the total monthly amount for each account and calulate a standard deviation of those 4 month totals.

Please see below screenshot (I cannot find where to attach .pbix file)Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the measure... however, you should be aware that it does take into consideration all filtering of the Calendar table. So, for instance, if in each cell of a visual you'll have a single month but a slicer will be set to only show, say, data for weekends for the months, the measure will honor this as well, that is, it'll calculate the SD among the months but only for data visible in the months, not full months.

[SD] =
var __sd =
	STDEVX.S(
		VALUES( 'Calendar'[Year-Month] ),
		[Total Amount]
	)
return
	// __sd could in certain circumstances
	// return NaN, so we need IFERROR to
	// account for such events
	IFERROR( __sd, 0 )

Bear in mind that for this to work you have to have a Calendar in the model (a proper Date table). Here's how you should handle time-intel in PBI:

https://www.sqlbi.com/tv/time-intelligence-in-microsoft-power-bi/

Best

D

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the measure... however, you should be aware that it does take into consideration all filtering of the Calendar table. So, for instance, if in each cell of a visual you'll have a single month but a slicer will be set to only show, say, data for weekends for the months, the measure will honor this as well, that is, it'll calculate the SD among the months but only for data visible in the months, not full months.

[SD] =
var __sd =
	STDEVX.S(
		VALUES( 'Calendar'[Year-Month] ),
		[Total Amount]
	)
return
	// __sd could in certain circumstances
	// return NaN, so we need IFERROR to
	// account for such events
	IFERROR( __sd, 0 )

Bear in mind that for this to work you have to have a Calendar in the model (a proper Date table). Here's how you should handle time-intel in PBI:

https://www.sqlbi.com/tv/time-intelligence-in-microsoft-power-bi/

Best

D

This worked perfectly! I just couldn't get that formula's reference logic down.

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors