Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Spliting and Combining columns

Hi all,

Does anybody knows how to split into columns and then combine them into one column. It sounds confusing but what I mean is this:

I have list of required attendees looking like this:

Required attendees
Smith, John; Dawson, Alex; Day, Paul; Brown, Lucy

Note that is all in one cell and there maybe a different number of people.

I want to split by semicolumn (which I've done with the simple function) and then I want to combine them in one column called full name e.g.

Full Name
Smith, John
Dawson,Alex
Day, Paul
Brown, Lucy

Not sure if its possible to just use the original column split it and then stack them in one column without going through lots of steps.

Also, the union function doesn't work for me to stack the columns. 😕

Any ideas? That's in Power BI Desktop.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous in power query where you use the split function, under advanced, choose rows and you will get the expected result.

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous in power query where you use the split function, under advanced, choose rows and you will get the expected result.

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't believe how easy was that! Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors