Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

saksham_jain
Helper I
Helper I

Single slicer for multiple column multiple categories

Main Table:

Customer TypeCustomer 1 NameCustomer 1 BUCustomer 2 NameCustomer 2 BUCustomer 1 Owning UserCustomer 2 Owning UserCustomer 1 Created ByCustomer 2 Created By
ContactCustomer ABU_1Customer A_1BU_2rockyjamesjunecindy
ContactCustomer BBU_2Customer B_2BU_3jameschrismayjune
ContactCustomer CBU_3Customer C_3BU_3chrisrockycindymay

I have to have one slicer for

A) "Customer 1 BU" & "Customer 2 BU" with values as

Customer BU
BU_1
BU_2
BU_3

B) "Customer 1 Owning User" & "Customer 2 Owning User" with values as

Customer Owning User
rocky
james
chris

C) "Customer 1 Created By" & "Customer 2 Created By" with values as

Customer Created By
june
may
cindy

Expected Output:
If I select, "BU_1" from the single slicer "Customer BU", the table should return row number 1 only.

If I select, "June" from the single slicer "Customer Owning User", the table should return row number 1 & 2.

I did try to use the solution provided in 
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Once-Slicer-for-multiple-columns/td-p/407949

but it works for one slicer only. I need it for multiple slicers as explained above. Also, the solution says that you need to add the measure to the visual but I don't want that to be added.
Please help PowerBI community Members

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

7 REPLIES 7
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can still achieve these results with the properly normalized main table. The matrix visual is your friend.  Or some minor DAX code.

You are probably right. 
But I'm afraid, the matrix visual won't work for me in this scenario. Maybe you could help with the DAX code. As mentioned in the query, the solution provided in the following link works perfectly for a single category.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Once-Slicer-for-multiple-columns/td-p/407949

Maybe a little help with the DAX to add another category to it (Customer BU & Customer Owning User).
Do you catch my drift?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

This is how your main table should look like

lbendlin_0-1622552367483.png

I appreciate your time on this.

The way I have shown the main table, that's the ideal behavior of this report. It is to find duplicate customers based on certain conditions. 
So customer A & customer A_1 are like victim & survivor respectively. So if I bring them all customers in one column, that would defeat the purpose of this report.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Have you considered unpivoting your table (by adding the customer id as a column)?

This is the report view that I have shown above. I have a column named 'external_id' that can individually identify customer 1 & 2 if that's what you are referring to. @lbendlin 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors