Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Simple Division driving me crazy!

Hi all 

I just can't seem to understand why my tabular model is coming up with the wrong answer. 

All I'm doing is dividing one column by the other.

='Stock Analysis'[Physical Quantity (R)]/[Net Usage]

Division.PNG

I didn't need to use variables but I've tried lots of different ways to divide it but it keeps coming up with the same problem. 

19.77686 / 0.014370

The answer is 1,978 not 1,376. 

Note; the first column Physical Quantity (R) is a hard number created via power query.

The second number is a calcuated column which I'll include but I don't see how this should have an affect on this simple division:

Net Usage='Stock Analysis'[Consumption Quantity 12 Months]+'Stock Analysis'[Sold Quantity 12 months]

Consumption Quantity 12 Months=[Pick Quantity In Previous 12 Months]

Pick Quantity In Previous 12 Months:=
VAR CurrentDate = TODAY()
VAR PreviousDate = Date(Year(CurrentDate),MONTH(CurrentDate)-12,DAY(CurrentDate))
VAR RESULT =
CALCULATE( SUM([QtyReporting]),
FILTER( 'Primary Date Table',
'Primary Date Table'[Date] >= PreviousDate && 'Primary Date Table'[Date] <= CurrentDate
)
)
RETURN
RESULT

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
HashamNiaz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi !

I think there is some misunderstanding, the answer for 19.77686 / 0.014370 = 1376 ~

You can use the calculator again, see below image;

CalcCalc

Semms like you are ignoring [437] while doing division. The actual divisor is [0.01437] not [0.01]. If you want only 2 decimal places to be used in divisor you can Round Off the number to 2 decimal places.

Regards,

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,Can you share a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

First, we need to check is the value of the Numerator and denominator is as expected or not

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak 

Thanks for your response. 

This is a live connection to SSAS tabular model not a Power BI tabular model so sharing the model would not be possible. 

The value of the numerator is the second column along, Physical Quantity (R) @ 19.77

The value of the denominator is the 3rd column from the right, Net Usage @ 0.014

Thanks again

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors