Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

stevedep
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Sharing: Use Dynamic SVG for Debugging or Teaching DAX.

Hi all,

I am writing this to share an idea to debug/explain the inner working of DAX code to others. The DAX code generates SVG code that allows us to highlight certain rows. Perhaps these are rows we like to work with when an inner DAX statement is at work. 

Hopefully, the below code is self-explanatory. Please mind that you need to change the 'Data Category' of the measure to 'Image URL'. I suggest changing the 'Image height' as well (see highlight in below image). The file is attached. 

Any (creative) suggestions for improvements or other use cases are welcome. 

Credits to  @matemusic for the inspiration

stevedep_0-1613807312007.png

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The height is not a problem. You can use the HTML5 visual.

What I am looking for is the entire table contents, column headers and all rows, as a SVG image.

ah ok, got it!

Great tip, just use an HTML custom visual. Did not think of this. Learning every day! Thanks!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Here's a challenge for you. Write a piece of SVG that can return the entire contents of a table variable that is used when building a measure.

Its currently iterating a table variable. If you are hinting towards the image cell height limitation, I created an idea to ask to have this height increased so a larger number of rows can be printed (with colours). Please vote for the idea if you like it:
https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=4a172cc5-5073-eb11-8ced-0003ff4569ae  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors