Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pascal_KTeam
Resolver I
Resolver I

Selection from Slicer as column in virtual table

Hi all. I'm trying my best to describe the issue I have...

I need to create a virtual table which includes one column that shows the selection from a slicer

Slicer:

I have a slicer to select Business Unit. I also have a measure which gives me the selected item from the slicer with SELECTEDVALUE

physical Table:

I have a table with data from different Business Units

virtual table:

I have a virtual table which is based on the physical table from above but I add a couple of columns with ADDCOLUMNS. So far all good.

Since I need the virtual table to be filtered to only the Business unit which is selected in the slicer, I was trying to add the result of the SELECTEDVALUE measure from above to a new column but this doesn't work. It stays blank. The formulare for the virtual table looks like this:

I'm looking for a way to replace the hardcoded "Business Unit XY" wich what is selected in the slicer

HL Virtual =

VAR newTable =

ADDCOLUMNS(HL_Template;

"RATETYPE";

LOOKUPVALUE('Data'[RATETYPE];'Data'[MG_ACCOUNT ID];HL_Template[MG_ACCOUNT]);

"Selected Unit";

"Business Unit XY")

VAR filteredtable =

SELECTCOLUMNS(newTable;

"MG_ACCOUNT";HL_Template[MG_ACCOUNT];"Unit";HL_Template[Unit];"RATETYPE";[RATETYPE];"Selected Unit";[Selected Unit];"Unit = selected Unit";IF(HL_Template[Unit]=[Selected Unit];"YES";"NO"))

RETURN

FILTER(filteredtable;[Unit = selected Unit]="YES")

I'm happy for any hints in the right direction. Thanks guys!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I had to rethink the whole topic and now successfully created a measure which is doing what I need. 

Of course, calculated columns are calculated on refresh so this wasn't actually an option

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Sample data would be great. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Basically I start with 2 tables (linked Excel file might make it even clearer, at least I hope so: Excel File with details ) 

Table name:Data  
what's in there:all data  
Source:ERP  

RATETYPEACCOUNTBusiness UnitAmount
notransacc001unit1100
notransacc002unit2200
transacc003unit1300
transacc004unit2400

and

Table name:HL Template
Wha'ts in there:template which shows the accounts that should be shown in the report. Note that for unit1 we don't want to see acc002 and therefore haven't listed it in the template. 
SourceSource: manually created Excel file

Business UnitAccount
unit1acc001
unit2acc003
unit2acc004

Then I create a 3rd table "Calc Table" using DAX. Basically I take table HL Template and add some columns from the Data table. This works fine. What I also need in the "Calc Table" is a column which shows which Business Unit is currently selected in a slicer which is linked to the Data table. So the red marked part of the DAX needs to be replaced

Calc Table =

VAR newTable =
ADDCOLUMNS(HL_Template;
    "RATETYPE";
        LOOKUPVALUE('Data'[RATETYPE];'Data'[ACCOUNT];HL_Template[ACCOUNT]);
     "Selected Unit";
        "Business Unit XY")
VAR filteredtable =
    SELECTCOLUMNS(newTable;
        "ACCOUNT";HL_Template[ACCOUNT];"Business Unit";HL_Template[Business Unit];"RATETYPE";[RATETYPE];"Selected Unit";[Selected Unit];"Unit = selected Unit";IF(HL_Template[Unit]=[Selected Unit];"YES";"NO"))

RETURN
FILTER(filteredtable;[Unit = selected Unit]="YES")

I had to rethink the whole topic and now successfully created a measure which is doing what I need. 

Of course, calculated columns are calculated on refresh so this wasn't actually an option

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors