Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LaurindaS

Search In Different Order

I'm looking to have a search field that looks in a table where it searches the same words, but the words could be in a different order. In excel, it would be similar to the contains and contains filter instead of the exact filter.

Example

Description Field: Pen Blue Medium Bic

In the search field if "blue pen" is entered I would like for this description to come up. It's only coming up if I type the words in the exact same order. Eg. "Pen blue", "blue medium" & "medium bic"

Thanks in advance for your help! 🙂

Laurinda

2 REPLIES 2
goncalogeraldes
Super User
Super User

PBI has a functionality called "Synonyms" that may help you in this case! Please check the below link as it may provide some insights onto your problem:

https://www.biinsight.com/power-bi-synonyms-take-qa-experience-to-the-next-level/

Hope this answer solves your problem! If you need any additional help please tag me in your reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, pleased mark it as a solution ✔️ or give it a kudoe 👍
Thanks!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Geraldes

Hi Goncalo,

This is our "work around" solution we have right now, but it's quite time consuming & leaves room for human error if I forget to add a variation,. There are thousands of fields in this table & some of the fields have alot of words in the description so I would have to put every variation that they might search to have it come up.

Example:

Description: Pen Blue Medium Point Bic Round Ballpoint

I would have to put every variation that they could potentially search.
Eg. Blue Pen

Medium Blue

Bic Pen

Bic Ballpoint

Ect.

I was hoping to find a way to have it search for all words in any order somehow in the programming so it doesn't allow for human error & more efficient.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors