Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

maserr
Helper IV
Helper IV

Save value from a table

Hi there,

I am feeling pretty lost with DAX. I have a doubt I would know how to solve if the cell was a number, as I would store in a measure the value using CALCULATE(SUM(Value), Filter), but I do not know how to do it once the value I want to store is a varchar...

Value 1 Value 2 Value 3

X             Y            Z

A            B            C

I would want to have a measure that contains Value 1 = 'X' because I have chosen Value 3 = 'Z'

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You say you want to "save" a choice. As the first reply pointed out there is no way to have anything like a global variable in DAX. However, you can put the possible selections into a separate table that has no relationships to the table you have your data in. This is an example of the DAX pattern "Parameter Table" https://www.daxpatterns.com/parameter-table/  

Then when the user selects a value from the parameter table list, it will be available for you to use in your measures, and you can use it to lookup the corresponding value in your data table by using a function like LOOKUPVALUE(). Since the parameter table is no related to your data table any selection the user makes on the data table rows will not change the value selected in the parameter table.

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!

Join the conversation at We Talk BI find out more about me at Slow BI

nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@maserr  DAX measures are dynamic. We cannot store the value based on the previous selection.

If you select Value 3 = 'Z' below measure will return 'X'. But the moment you select another value or deselect the Value 3, result will change.

Val1 = SELECTEDVALUE(MyTable[Value1])

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

I think I have not explained myself enough. I would want to achieve which is proposing the accepted solution from this post but with varchar.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Measures-with-KPI/m-p/1078163#M15168

Thanks

So, you wish to match a given value against a set of "target" values, but your problem is that the target values are strings instead of numbers... can you give us an example of the actual target values you want to use. 

I think you will have to list all of your target strings. You probably not be able to use anything like, greater than or less than with strings. So your table of targets would be larger, but would work just by matching, using LOOKUPVALUE(), for example.

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!