Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bn12pmebi

SUMX returning totals instead of row-level values

I’m setting up a customer score based on scores from 8 sources (queries).   When I started I setup the formula for scoring each of the 8 data points in the powerquery , then I was told by a colleague that my “implicit” formulas in the queries wouldn’t work in visualizations, and I had to create external Measures to get the calculations I want. 

I didn’t want to recreate all those formulas, so I tried using SUMX to “pull in” the row-level values from the implicit formulas in the query so they show in a table or matrix display.  For example:

Sumx Score 3 = SUMX('query3',[Query3 iScore])

This worked perfectly for 5 of my data points, but for 3 the SUMX returns a grand total of the implicit formula column, not the row-level values, like this:

Customer Name               Sumx Score 1      Sumx Score 2      Sumx Score 3      Sumx Score 4

A                                            10                           0                             0                       65          

B                                             0                            10                           0                        65          

C                                             5                            10                           0                        65

You can see in Score 4 that I got the total and not the row value for the implicit formula column.  Also, when this happens I get multiple rows for the same Customer Name instead of one row per-Customer Name. Note that "show value as" is set to “No Calculation.”

How do I figure out why this is working fine for 5 calculations, but shows totals for 3 calculations?

Is there a better way I can create a Measure to re-use the formula calculations (calculated columns) in the queries instead of redoing the calculations as external measures from scratch?

2 REPLIES 2
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bn12pmebi ,

It's a little difficult to find the cause of problem and get the solution without any data and the left 3 calculations with wrong total values. Could you please share some involved data in those 3 calculations(exclude sensitive data) and their formula with us in order to make troubleshooting? By the way, those 3 calculations are measures or calculated column? Thank you.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@bn12pmebi , Make sure Query4 has an active join with the customer. if the join is inactive, check if this is because of bi-directional joins

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors