Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GerryHeyrman
Frequent Visitor

SUMIFS / DAX combined with dynamic dates

Hi Everyone,

I am struggling with converting a (dynamic) SUMIFS formula towards Power BI, formula is summarizing the contract amount of sales opportunities based on multiple (date)-criteria (latest date of each quarter), which is generating the following result:

SUMIFS.JPG

I am able to calculate this in Power BI for one specific date, in the following example being 31/12/2020:

Power BI SUMX.JPG

Anybody an idea how I should write this measure in DAX, so I would be able to show the calculation for each (latest) date of each quarter as of (f.E.) 01/01/2019 up untill .. ?

Many thanks for looking into this !

Kind regards,

Gerry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi all,

I am not really sure how to do that via the date table & have solved this (inefficiently as following):

(1) Creating measures for each date (end of quarter), with following formulas (example shown sales pipeline for 30/06/2020): "Sales Pipeline: 30/06/2020 = (sumx(filter(Sales_Opportunities,Sales_Opportunities[CreatedOn]<=date(2020,6,30)&&Sales_Opportunities[ClosingDate]>=date(2020,6,30)),[Sales Contract amount in €])+sumx(filter(Sales_Opportunities,Sales_Opportunities[CreatedOn]<=date(2020,6,30)&&Sales_Opportunities[ClosingDate]=0),[Sales Contract amount in €]))/1000"

(2) generation following result:
Result Power BI.JPG

Despite this being an inefficient approach, I am not able to visualise this into other visuals than tables, as the time dimension is not being used properly.

Anybody an idea how to solve this more efficient (in 1 measure, but having the time dimension seperately ?)

For everyones information, I will try to describe my case more thorougly:

Based on opportunities in our CRM tool, I want to show the sales pipeline (amount in sales phase on a specific date) and I use following checks to calculate this from past dates:

(1) Creation date, which should be before date X

(2) End date, which should be blank or after date X

For the moment I have following (DIM_Date) table:
datetable.JPG

Which is having a relation with the CRM date (Sales_opportunities):

Relationship date table & sales opportunities.JPG

If I try to change the formula, from hard coded dated towards the Date field onder Date table (Dim_Date) I get following error:

Wrong formula Dim_Date.JPG

Many thanks for looking into this.

Kind regards,

Gerry

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

- Have a Calendar table as part of your data model, including the YearQuarter column

- use LASTDATE() DAX function to find the last date of the quarter

- calculate the value for that date.

- display in the chart.

Hi Everyone,

Found the solution using a what-if parameter & putting this into a variable, enabling a dynamic formula.

Kind regards,

Gerry

Hi,

Thanks for your swift reply, for the moment I have following Date table:
datetable.JPG

When I try to convert the yearquarter column from text to date I am not able to.

Any help on the formula for creating a yearquarter column which is convertible towards a date ?

Many thanks !

Kind regards,

Gerry

There is no need for that. You link the table via the Date column, right?

Hi all,

I am not really sure how to do that via the date table & have solved this (inefficiently as following):

(1) Creating measures for each date (end of quarter), with following formulas (example shown sales pipeline for 30/06/2020): "Sales Pipeline: 30/06/2020 = (sumx(filter(Sales_Opportunities,Sales_Opportunities[CreatedOn]<=date(2020,6,30)&&Sales_Opportunities[ClosingDate]>=date(2020,6,30)),[Sales Contract amount in €])+sumx(filter(Sales_Opportunities,Sales_Opportunities[CreatedOn]<=date(2020,6,30)&&Sales_Opportunities[ClosingDate]=0),[Sales Contract amount in €]))/1000"

(2) generation following result:
Result Power BI.JPG

Despite this being an inefficient approach, I am not able to visualise this into other visuals than tables, as the time dimension is not being used properly.

Anybody an idea how to solve this more efficient (in 1 measure, but having the time dimension seperately ?)

For everyones information, I will try to describe my case more thorougly:

Based on opportunities in our CRM tool, I want to show the sales pipeline (amount in sales phase on a specific date) and I use following checks to calculate this from past dates:

(1) Creation date, which should be before date X

(2) End date, which should be blank or after date X

For the moment I have following (DIM_Date) table:
datetable.JPG

Which is having a relation with the CRM date (Sales_opportunities):

Relationship date table & sales opportunities.JPG

If I try to change the formula, from hard coded dated towards the Date field onder Date table (Dim_Date) I get following error:

Wrong formula Dim_Date.JPG

Many thanks for looking into this.

Kind regards,

Gerry

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors