Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mitchemmonkey
Frequent Visitor

SUB RANKX HELP

I have the following table called SUMMARISE2, which I have ranked according to TEST2, called TESTRANK2. For each test name (i.e., TEST2/TESTRANK2) I then want to sub rank the rows based on value in "Lot No2", so that for each TEST2 category, I have a rank of 1,2,3 (and so on), which repeats for each test name it comes across. Note - The actual number currently in "Lot No2" is irrelevant and I just need to assign a 1,2,3 etc number to each independent variable in the group, and not specifically rank based on the actual value.

mitchemmonkey_0-1664291141551.png

Any help on the correct DAX expression would be appreciated

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi, @mitchemmonkey 

These two rankings are independent of each other and don't seem to be that complicated.

I think the following two formulas will work.

Calculated columns:

TESTRANK2 = RANKX('Table','Table'[TETS2],,DESC,Dense)
Rank = RANKX(FILTER('Table','Table'[TETS2]=EARLIER('Table'[TETS2])),'Table'[LOT NO2],,DESC,Dense)

veasonfmsft_1-1664784961534.png

Other Related threads:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/rankx-on-multiple-columns-with-dax-and-power-bi/ 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

Hi, @mitchemmonkey 

Try this:

Max rank = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Rank]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[TETS2]))

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @mitchemmonkey 

Can you share a simplified data table and expected results for further research ?

Best Regards,

@v-easonf-msft 

thanks for your reply - I'm pretty new to power BI so not sure what you refer to when asking for a simplified table, but I have mocked up in Excel what I want to acheieve:

mitchemmonkey_0-1664782526995.png

Essentially, I need to rank within each original ranked category (i.e., 1st rank on the test name [which ive done under "TESTRANK""column], but then rank within each test name based on different text within the Lot No2 column [Rank column in excel mock up picture])

I dont want to use the Power query/transform option, and hoping for a DAX solution 🙂

Thank you for your time.

Hi, @mitchemmonkey 

These two rankings are independent of each other and don't seem to be that complicated.

I think the following two formulas will work.

Calculated columns:

TESTRANK2 = RANKX('Table','Table'[TETS2],,DESC,Dense)
Rank = RANKX(FILTER('Table','Table'[TETS2]=EARLIER('Table'[TETS2])),'Table'[LOT NO2],,DESC,Dense)

veasonfmsft_1-1664784961534.png

Other Related threads:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/rankx-on-multiple-columns-with-dax-and-power-bi/ 

Best Regards,

@v-easonf-msft 

One more question. How do I change the DAX to reurnthe highest rank for each category:, i.e.,:

mitchemmonkey_0-1664869196641.png

Hi, @mitchemmonkey 

Try this:

Max rank = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Rank]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[TETS2]))

Best Regards,

@v-easonf-msft Perfect - thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors