Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CrassJoin
Advocate I
Advocate I

SSAS Tabular - Default Detail Rows Expression

For a SSAS 2017 tabular model surfaced via pivot tables, a handy (vital) feature is the ability to drill through to a sensible selection of detail rows via double click on a measure (just like in the old school Excel pivot tables that your finance department can't part with). The content of the drillthough is determined by the table property [Default Detail Rows Expression]. The example Microsoft provides here is great insofar as it goes.

SELECTCOLUMNS(
    'Internet Sales',
    "Customer First Name", RELATED( Customer[Last Name]),
    "Customer Last Name", RELATED( Customer[First Name]),
    "Order Date", 'Internet Sales'[Order Date],
    "Internet Total Sales", [Internet Total Sales]
)

My problem is that I have a calendar table with an active relationship with my fact table (let's call this fact column end_date_sk) and an inactive relationship with the same table (let's call this fact column start_date_sk). If I want to return calendar columns from both the inactive and active relationships, what do I do? RELATED() only seems to work for the active relationship.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to change the relationship via a combination of CALCULATE and USERELATIONSHIP. But be careful where you do it. RELATED must work AFTER the relationship has been activated, not before.

Best
Darek

Thanks @Anonymous 

Can you link to an example of this? I tried USERELATIONSHIP with no joy.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using RELATED(TABLE) is tricky with inactive relationships. Here's the code you're after.

New Table = 
SELECTCOLUMNS(
    'Fact',
    "Value For Column 1", RELATED( Dim[Value] ),
    "Value For Column 2",
        CALCULATE (
            CALCULATE (
                VALUES ( Dim[Value] ),
                'Fact'
            ),
            USERELATIONSHIP ( Dim[Column], 'Fact'[Column 2] ),
            ALL ( Dim )
        )
)

Assumptions:

1. Fact is the fact table with 2 columns, Column 1 and Column 2. Both join on Column to Dim.
  2. Dim is a dimension table with Column and Value.
  3. The above retrieves the Value for Column 1 and Column 2 for each of of the rows in Fact.

If you want to know why so, please go to this article and read.

Best

Darek

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors