Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Running total using mutiple filters

Hi I have following data 

DomianDescrDateCountCumulative
AClose01/01/202011
BOpen01/01/202000
CClose 01/01/202011
AClose02/01/202023
AOpen02/01/202011

I have 1st 4 columns and I have to calculate column 5 - Cumulative in the measure to use it for a line graph.

I have to add numbers in the cumulative column where Domain and descr are the same for the previous date . Eg A domian / clos e descr should show cumlative of A domain / close descr of o1/01/2020 and 02/01/2020. How can this be done?

I am not very good with the multiple filters in DAX , hence requesting help.

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
edhans
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous - I love Power Query, but this is best done in DAX I believe as was your original course. Here is what I have done:

edhans_2-1603756918775.png

You can see it matches your expected "Cumulative Goal" values. Full measure text below.

Cumulative =
VAR varDomain =
    MAX( 'Table'[Domian] )
VAR varDescription =
    MAX( 'Table'[Descr] )
VAR varCurrentDate =
    MAX( 'Table'[Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE(
        SUM( 'Table'[Count] ),
        FILTER(
            ALL( 'Table' ),
            'Table'[Domian] = varDomain
                && 'Table'[Descr] = varDescription
                && 'Table'[Date] <= varCurrentDate
        )
    )

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

Mine uses variables @Anonymous. The EARLIER() function is no longer needed and is not recommended. It returns the same results, and 3 years ago, was the only way to do it. But variables, the VAR/RETURN construct, is easier to read and edit, and can actually improve performance where you might user EARLIER() multiple times in a measure.

@Anonymous is correct that you should NOT use this in a calculated column. You should avoid them as a rule. 

You can do this in Power Query, but it is not easy, and must use the advanced editor. Here is the code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUXLOyS9OBdIGhvpAZGRgZADkGIJxrE60khOQ5V+QmoeuAoJBKpxhhijgNgXFIiMkJUZAbAxXArPICNOQWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Domian = _t, Descr = _t, Date = _t, Count = _t, Cumulative = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Count", Int64.Type}, {"Cumulative", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = 
        Table.Group(
            #"Changed Type", 
            {"Domian", "Descr"}, 
            {
                {
                    "All Rows", 
                    each 
                        let
                            varCurrentTable = _
                        in
                        Table.AddColumn(
                            _,
                            "Cumulative Total",
                            each
                                let
                                    varCumulativeDate = [Date]
                                in
                                    List.Sum(
                                        Table.SelectRows(
                                            varCurrentTable,
                                            each [Date] <= varCumulativeDate
                                        )[Count]
                                    )
                        ), 
                    type table [Domian=nullable text, Descr=nullable text, Date=nullable date, Count=nullable number, Cumulative=nullable number, Cumulative Total = nullable number]
                }
            }
        ),
    #"Expanded All Rows" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "All Rows", {"Date", "Count", "Cumulative", "Cumulative Total"}, {"Date", "Count", "Cumulative", "Cumulative Total"})
in
    #"Expanded All Rows"

If you need this in a column, then yes, by all means, use this code. It returns the red column, next to your "Cumulative" goal in the sample.

edhans_0-1603806649231.png

I cannot guarantee this will be performant over hundreds of thousands, or millions of records. That is where DAX excels and Power Query tends to bog down, but over 10K records or so, no problem. Give it a try.

I would appreciate KUDOS for any posts in this thread that have helped you, and if one of my answers is the solution, please mark it as such. See the very bottom of this post for some reasons not to use a calculated column. Below are directions to use this code in Power Query if you are not accustomed to pasting raw code in.

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

In general, try to avoid calculated columns. There are times to use them, but it is rare. Getting data out of the source system, creating columns in Power Query, or DAX Measures are usually preferred to calculated columns. See these references:
Calculated Columns vs Measures in DAX
Calculated Columns and Measures in DAX
Storage differences between calculated columns and calculated tables
SQLBI Video on Measures vs Calculated Columns
Creating a Dynamic Date Table in Power Query

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
edhans
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous - I love Power Query, but this is best done in DAX I believe as was your original course. Here is what I have done:

edhans_2-1603756918775.png

You can see it matches your expected "Cumulative Goal" values. Full measure text below.

Cumulative =
VAR varDomain =
    MAX( 'Table'[Domian] )
VAR varDescription =
    MAX( 'Table'[Descr] )
VAR varCurrentDate =
    MAX( 'Table'[Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE(
        SUM( 'Table'[Count] ),
        FILTER(
            ALL( 'Table' ),
            'Table'[Domian] = varDomain
                && 'Table'[Descr] = varDescription
                && 'Table'[Date] <= varCurrentDate
        )
    )

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is what I did- different from yours, but worked

Running Total =
CALCULATE(
SUM('Table'[count]),
FILTER(
'Table',
'Table'[Domain]=EARLIER('Table'[Domain])
&& 'Table'[Descr]=EARLIER('Table'[Descr]) && 'Table'[Date] <= EARLIER('Table'[Date])

)
)

How this different than yours @edhans ?

P.S. Thanks for replying with a solutions

Mine uses variables @Anonymous. The EARLIER() function is no longer needed and is not recommended. It returns the same results, and 3 years ago, was the only way to do it. But variables, the VAR/RETURN construct, is easier to read and edit, and can actually improve performance where you might user EARLIER() multiple times in a measure.

@Anonymous is correct that you should NOT use this in a calculated column. You should avoid them as a rule. 

You can do this in Power Query, but it is not easy, and must use the advanced editor. Here is the code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUXLOyS9OBdIGhvpAZGRgZADkGIJxrE60khOQ5V+QmoeuAoJBKpxhhijgNgXFIiMkJUZAbAxXArPICNOQWAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Domian = _t, Descr = _t, Date = _t, Count = _t, Cumulative = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Count", Int64.Type}, {"Cumulative", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = 
        Table.Group(
            #"Changed Type", 
            {"Domian", "Descr"}, 
            {
                {
                    "All Rows", 
                    each 
                        let
                            varCurrentTable = _
                        in
                        Table.AddColumn(
                            _,
                            "Cumulative Total",
                            each
                                let
                                    varCumulativeDate = [Date]
                                in
                                    List.Sum(
                                        Table.SelectRows(
                                            varCurrentTable,
                                            each [Date] <= varCumulativeDate
                                        )[Count]
                                    )
                        ), 
                    type table [Domian=nullable text, Descr=nullable text, Date=nullable date, Count=nullable number, Cumulative=nullable number, Cumulative Total = nullable number]
                }
            }
        ),
    #"Expanded All Rows" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "All Rows", {"Date", "Count", "Cumulative", "Cumulative Total"}, {"Date", "Count", "Cumulative", "Cumulative Total"})
in
    #"Expanded All Rows"

If you need this in a column, then yes, by all means, use this code. It returns the red column, next to your "Cumulative" goal in the sample.

edhans_0-1603806649231.png

I cannot guarantee this will be performant over hundreds of thousands, or millions of records. That is where DAX excels and Power Query tends to bog down, but over 10K records or so, no problem. Give it a try.

I would appreciate KUDOS for any posts in this thread that have helped you, and if one of my answers is the solution, please mark it as such. See the very bottom of this post for some reasons not to use a calculated column. Below are directions to use this code in Power Query if you are not accustomed to pasting raw code in.

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

In general, try to avoid calculated columns. There are times to use them, but it is rare. Getting data out of the source system, creating columns in Power Query, or DAX Measures are usually preferred to calculated columns. See these references:
Calculated Columns vs Measures in DAX
Calculated Columns and Measures in DAX
Storage differences between calculated columns and calculated tables
SQLBI Video on Measures vs Calculated Columns
Creating a Dynamic Date Table in Power Query

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank u so much for taking out time to explain this!! 

Glad to help @Anonymous - hope the rest of your project runs smoothly!

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are always many ways to do it in PQ and some of them will be blazingly fast, some of them will drag on and on. To know which construct you should use when in order to squeeze maximum performance out of M (the PQ language), you should read about the philosophy of programming with M and when constructs get calculated. M is a functional language and has its own rules of evaluation. To know them thoroughly is the key to writing very fast M routines. You have to master the rules of lazy evaluation to get performant M code. And this code will always outperform DAX if it's properly written.
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is best done in DAX IF AND ONLY IF it's got to be a measure, @edhans. Actually, in case of a measure THERE IS NO CHOICE but DAX. But I think it was meant to be a calculated column, which PQ is best for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

can u explain  how can this be done in power query? Because currently I added a new column in dax 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why don't you do this in Power Query? This is actually the proper way to do it. Not in DAX.
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can his be done in power query?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors