Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Peppermint_T
Frequent Visitor

Running total of latest inspection measurements for bits of kit. Kit inspection frequency varies.

I need a running total for the latest inspection measurements of distinct units of kit. The inspection frequency for bits of kit varies, so a rolling sum over a fixed time period doesn’t solve my problem.

I have calculated total measurement successfully for today and my calculated table works daily but I need the calculations for past days so I can plot changes over time.

My daily calculation is done as follows:

1) I created a calculated table which gave me the latest inspection measurements for each of the kit units:

Latest_check = GROUPBY('Data’, 'Data’[Kit_ID], "Latest Inspection", MAXX(CURRENTGROUP(), 'Data'[Date]))

2)Added another column which pulls in the latest total defect measurement for that Kit_ID:

Total_defect =

CALCULATE (

MAX ('Data'[Total_Defect]),

FILTER (

'Data’,

'Data'[Kit_ID’] = 'Latest_check'[Data_Kit_ID]

&& 'Data'[Date] = EARLIER ('Latest_check'[Latest check])

3) The output table looks like so:

Peppermint_T_0-1633101029703.png

4) I then summed this table:

5) Total length defect = CALCULATE(SUM('Latest_check'[Total_Defect]))

6) This gives me a total that refreshes every day - so far so good.

7) What I need is for that number to be calculated for every day going back in time so that I can plot Dim[Date] on the x and total length defect over time. I subsequently need rates of change over time  - essentially I need to work out whether kit repair is keeping up with rate of breakage.

8)The bits of kit are checked at different time intervals  -  so I can’t simply look, say over the last x or y days.

What I have tried:

1. Using total length defect (as in 5 above) and dragging into a new table OR chart gives me a constant value which is todays value.
  2. This also gave me constant value for each date:

Total_length_defect =

CALCULATE(

SUM(Latest_check[Total_Defect]),

DATESBETWEEN(

'Dim_Date'[Date],                                                                                                                                                                                       BLANK(),

MAX('Dim_Date'[Date])

)

3)Also tried DEFINE table but that didn’t work either – probably because I don’t understand DEFINE and EVALUATION well enough.

4) This calculation does need to run daily, so it is a type of calculated query table, but to be honest it is hard to see where the output of DEFINE “lives” as it isn’t really a measure or a table.

Data model:

• I have a Data table that captures my data via sharepoint.
  • I have Kit Dimension Table
  • I have a Date Dimension Table.
  • Two simple joins on Kit_ID and Date.

And Latest_check is the calculated table which has a join on date.

1 REPLY 1
Peppermint_T
Frequent Visitor

Attempts and experimentation has progressed.

1)  I am now doing my latest_check table more elegantly using: 

Latest check =
FILTER (
'Data',
'Data'[Date]
= CALCULATE (
MAX ( 'Data '[Date] ),
ALLEXCEPT ( 'Data ', 'Data '[Kit_ID] )
)
)
2) The above generates a calculated table that re-calcs every day. I need to sum the Latest check[Total Defect] column over time. I think a 90 day rolling sum might be able to work because the Latest check table is only pulling in the latest value for each kit_ID. In the event of more frequent checks there would therefore be no double counting.  My DAX is:
Rolling Sum =
CALCULATE(
SUM('Latest check'[Total_length_cracks(mm)]),
DATESBETWEEN(
'Dim_Date'[Date],
TODAY() - 90,
TODAY()
))

3) When I plot the Rolling Sum against Dim Date [Date] I get a constant value. The iteration is basically not happening.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors