Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BL_consultant
Frequent Visitor

Row level security, get AD attribute dynamically

Hi,

I have the following issue related to RLS. Is there any similar way to dynamically call e.g. AD attribute of signed user as I would use regular USEPRINCIPALNAME() in RLS role? How can I utilize the user's AD attributes dynamically after she/he has signed in to Power BI service?

I need to filter data using a location information. For a user who sings in to Power BI service, has this location information as an attribute in AD. I need to filter student data based on signed teacher (user) and I need to make sure that the teacher sees only her/his students data. 

However, I cannot import any AD related data to Power BI dataset and I cannot use AD connector to make a direct query based on the signed user.

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

In my experience the AD connector is excruciatingly slow. You may want to ask your AD people if they provide regular (eg daily) extracts in easy to consume format,  and use that extract instead for your RLS.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors