Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Row Level Security

Hi Everyone,

I have run into a road bump with RLS. I am able to create RLS for my vendors. But I would like to have my coworkers bypass the RLS on the same dashboard. Can my coworkers view the dashboard unfiltered by RLS?

Case

RLS works for the vendors. But my coworkers are blocked from seeing the row-level data because they are not vendors. My dashboard uses a slicer to filter the data by vendor only.

quipmaster_1-1665610107549.png

Step 1. Create DIM USER Table

User {Name}

User ID {Email}

TAP {Name}

UserNameUserIDTAP
Susan WhiteemailTEA
Nick VarneyemailEd Direction
Will McPhersonemailKitamba
Jen CraveremailMaya

Step 2. Power BI Desktop

Modelling > Manage roles> Create

Type in Ed Direction>Dim User>Add Filter>TAP

DAX

[TAP] = “Ed Direction”

Repeat for other Kitamba and Maya.

Step 3. Security settings on Power BI Service.

Data>Row-Level Security>enter email address>add>save

quipmaster_0-1665610077524.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

In the service's workspace, the RLS only works for Viewers. If you want your colleague to bypass RLS and view reports directly, you can grant him a role above the Viewer level.

If you publish your Power BI Desktop report to a workspace in the Power BI service, the RLS roles are applied to members who are assigned to the Viewer role in the workspace. Even if Viewers are given Build permissions to the dataset, RLS still applies. For example, if Viewers with Build permissions use Analyze in Excel, their view of the data will be protected by RLS. Workspace members assigned AdminMember, or Contributor have edit permission for the dataset and, therefore, RLS doesn’t apply to them. If you want RLS to apply to people in a workspace, you can only assign them the Viewer role. Read more about roles in workspaces.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-zhangti ,

That is exactly what I wanted to do. Thank you.

You taught me that I needed to create a workspace. Seems so simple now but I had been using the default workspace and now I know better.

Thank you.

v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

In the service's workspace, the RLS only works for Viewers. If you want your colleague to bypass RLS and view reports directly, you can grant him a role above the Viewer level.

If you publish your Power BI Desktop report to a workspace in the Power BI service, the RLS roles are applied to members who are assigned to the Viewer role in the workspace. Even if Viewers are given Build permissions to the dataset, RLS still applies. For example, if Viewers with Build permissions use Analyze in Excel, their view of the data will be protected by RLS. Workspace members assigned AdminMember, or Contributor have edit permission for the dataset and, therefore, RLS doesn’t apply to them. If you want RLS to apply to people in a workspace, you can only assign them the Viewer role. Read more about roles in workspaces.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors