Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Row Level Security based on EmailID

Hello,

I am working on a dashboard where we have 4 potential users: Business Head, Sales Rep, District Manager and Region Manager.

Each Account has 4 of these emails associated and I have an Account ID that matches all 4.

I'm trying to create a security model so that when their email ID is used to access the report, the model will match their email to the Account ID and show the information for all 4.

There is no hierarchy between them so I cannot use the 'Path' DAX to try to establish a connection that I'm reading online.

Essentially the 4 users are a team that manages the account so I want them to see the data for that account only.

There are thousands of these emails so I can't add roles manually, and need some DAX suggestion to use that.

Just to explain: One table has the emails and the ID associated to it. The other table has the main account info with the Account ID, and I have built a relationship between the 2 and used Account ID as a connection.

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Payeras_BI
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

I'll better share my testing with you.

Table AA:

Payeras_BI_0-1629358338082.png

Table XX:

Because I am working in PBI desktop I'll use my local machine's username instead of my email address just for testing purposes.

Payeras_BI_1-1629358362388.png

No relationship needed:

Payeras_BI_2-1629358751890.png

Creating the Role:

Payeras_BI_3-1629358825595.png

Table AA is filtered accordingly:

Payeras_BI_5-1629359343700.png

I hope this helps.

If this post answered your question, please mark it as a solution to help other users find useful content.
Kudos are another nice way to acknowledge those who tried to help you.

J. Payeras
Mallorca, Spain
Payeras_BI
Super User
Super User

Hi again @Anonymous ,

If I understood correctly this would be the Table filter DAX expression to be applied to your table AA:

[Account ID] = CALCULATE ( MIN ( XX[Account ID] ), XX[email] = USERPRINCIPALNAME () )

If this post answered your question, please mark it as a solution to help other users find useful content.

J. Payeras
Mallorca, Spain
Payeras_BI
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Something like this should work as a Table filter DAX Expression for your main table. 

[ID] = CALCULATE ( MIN ( Emails[ID] ), USERPRINCIPALNAME () = Emails[Email] )

J. Payeras
Mallorca, Spain
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, thank you for this response. The DAX expression that you gave me, I tried using that for table filter DAX expression however I get this error: "A single value for column 'email' in Table 'XX" cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count or sum to get a single result"

Would this measure allow any user that has the email to match to the Account ID and only show that results? 

Not sure why it's not working.

More context: Table 1 (AA) has the Account ID and other account details.

Table 2 (XX) has column 'email' and 'Account ID'. so the DAX I wrote, took it from Table XX, was that right?

Hi @Anonymous,

Please type in the DAX expression used with your tables and column references.

J. Payeras
Mallorca, Spain
Anonymous
Not applicable

CALCULATE ( MIN ( 'XX'[ID] ), USERPRINCIPALNAME () = XX[email] )

This is what I typed in the table filter DAX expression when I got the error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors