Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Round function not rounding

I have used the round function to round to 2 decimal places, but when I export my reports, the numbers are coming out almost rounded, but not quite (for example, 27,343.0900000001). Any idea why this is happening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I can't seem to reproduce the problem with hard values: 

Table without roundingTable without roundingTable with roundingTable with rounding

I get the same results?

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

What are you doing to export the reports? You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I will post there. 

I do have another question, perhaps I am doing something wrong. I have a table with a field that is rounded using the round function, and then another table that is just 1/2 of the sum of that field. If I leave the second table unrounded, it = half of the sum of the first table. If I put the round function on the second table, the amount is off by a few dollars. Any ideas?

Are you using SUM (ROUND ([column]) )? Because that would first ROUND it and then sum the Rounded numbers. The other way arround will sum the colum and then round the result. So if I have two value, 4.02, 5.49 and go with the SUM(ROUND()), it would be 4 + 5 = 9. If I go with ROUND(SUM()) it would be ROUND(4.02+5.49) = ROUND(9.51) = 10. 

Kind regards

Djerro123

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is helpful and makes sense, but I don't think quite fixes the issue. I wasn't very specific in my initial question, so let me try to do a better job of describing what's going on. I'm actually not using a sum function, I just do not have the other fields that break the data into multiple lines like in the first table so it is presented in a summarized way. So for example:

Table 1 
Account Number Amount 
acct 123                         128,544.44
acct 345                         200,000.00
acct 789                           20,048.44

Table 2- not rounded 
Acount NumberHalf Amount
act 000 =0.5*Amount 

Table 2- rounded 
Account NumberHalf Amount
act 000 =round(0.5*Amount,2) 

The first one that is not rounded gives me the correct number, 174,296.44. The one that is rounded gives me a different number: 174,299.84

It might also be worth mentioning that Amount in the first table has the rounding formula in it as well. 

I can't seem to reproduce the problem with hard values: 

Table without roundingTable without roundingTable with roundingTable with rounding

I get the same results?

Kind regards

Djerro123

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for taking a look, that makes me feel better-- I would expect to get the same results as well so I wonder if it's a bug related to the rounding issue in my original question. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same problem. Regardless of how I implement the round function (I have tried every iteration), it seems to have issues. Some of my numbers round while others do not.  I believe this is a Power BI bug.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors