Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

batman
Frequent Visitor

Rolling Total

Hello Everyone, 

I need some assistance with my rolling total, I have a date hierarchy and my rolling total works for days, months and quarters but for some strange reason once I role up the hierarchy to the year it shows only the last months rolling total for the year. 

Below is my formula 

Price Rolling Total =

CALCULATE ( SUM ( NewMeasures[Price]), DATESQTD('Calendar'[Date] ))

Thank you 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @batman ,

You can create another new measure as below and put this new measure to replace the original measure onto the table visual as below screenshot...

Measure = SUMX ( VALUES ('Calendar'[Date] ), [Price Rolling Total] ) 

In addition, you can refer the following links to try to solve your problem...

Why Your Total Is Incorrect In Power BI - The Key DAX Concept To Understand

Dax for Power BI: Fixing Incorrect Measure Totals

If the above one can't help you get the desired result, please provide some sample data in your tables (exclude sensitive data) with Text format and your expected result with backend logic and special examples. And share the visual field settings as below screenshot. It is better if you can share a simplified pbix file. You can refer the following link to upload the file to the community. Thank you.

How to upload PBI in Community

yingyinr_0-1665388589216.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

batman
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @v-yiruan-msft and @ValtteriN, I really appricate all the help. Below is what I am trying to do, I am trying to get my Rolling Cost Total QTD to qual 7922 instead of 3342. 

Please see link for the PBIX Workbook: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V6gJRZsA5vEZ074OhKwSwZAW4BXrryBg/view?usp=sharing

batman_0-1665410033331.png

Thank you once again 

Hi @batman ,

I updated your sample pbix file, please find the details in the attachment.

1. Create a measure as below

Measure = 
SUMX (
    GROUPBY ( 'Calendar', 'Calendar'[Date].[Year], 'Calendar'[Date].[Quarter] ),
    [Rolling Cost Total QTD]
)

2. Put the above measure onto the matrix to replace the original measure [Rolling Cost Total QTD]

yingyinr_0-1665474641496.png

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

7 REPLIES 7
batman
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @v-yiruan-msft and @ValtteriN, I really appricate all the help. Below is what I am trying to do, I am trying to get my Rolling Cost Total QTD to qual 7922 instead of 3342. 

Please see link for the PBIX Workbook: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V6gJRZsA5vEZ074OhKwSwZAW4BXrryBg/view?usp=sharing

batman_0-1665410033331.png

Thank you once again 

batman
Frequent Visitor

@v-yiruan-msft  - My apologies, please see the following link https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V6gJRZsA5vEZ074OhKwSwZAW4BXrryBg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V6gJRZsA5vEZ074OhKwSwZAW4BXrryBg/view?usp=sharing 

If it doesnt work for some reason, I will upload it to dropbox. I am not a super user so I can not attach. 

Thank you once again 

Hi @batman ,

I updated your sample pbix file, please find the details in the attachment.

1. Create a measure as below

Measure = 
SUMX (
    GROUPBY ( 'Calendar', 'Calendar'[Date].[Year], 'Calendar'[Date].[Quarter] ),
    [Rolling Cost Total QTD]
)

2. Put the above measure onto the matrix to replace the original measure [Rolling Cost Total QTD]

yingyinr_0-1665474641496.png

Best Regards

Thank you so much for taking your time and updating the workbook, a quick question for you what if I wanted everything to stay the same when rolled up so YEAR Same, Quarter same, Months Same but when drilled down to the days have a rolling total going? 

Hi @batman ,

It seems that I have no access to your shared file. Could you please grant me the proper access to the file? Or you can refer the following links to share the file with us. Thank you.

yingyinr_0-1665451313311.png

Best Regards

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @batman ,

You can create another new measure as below and put this new measure to replace the original measure onto the table visual as below screenshot...

Measure = SUMX ( VALUES ('Calendar'[Date] ), [Price Rolling Total] ) 

In addition, you can refer the following links to try to solve your problem...

Why Your Total Is Incorrect In Power BI - The Key DAX Concept To Understand

Dax for Power BI: Fixing Incorrect Measure Totals

If the above one can't help you get the desired result, please provide some sample data in your tables (exclude sensitive data) with Text format and your expected result with backend logic and special examples. And share the visual field settings as below screenshot. It is better if you can share a simplified pbix file. You can refer the following link to upload the file to the community. Thank you.

yingyinr_0-1665388589216.png

Best Regards

ValtteriN
Super User
Super User

Hi,

This has to do with the quarter changing and filter context.

In short:

Data:

ValtteriN_2-1665148754690.png

Without row context this measure will return latest quarter:

Quarter = QUARTER(MAX('Table (2)'[Date]))

Example:
ValtteriN_1-1665148621159.png

Notice that on a yearly level quarter = 4

Because of this QTD will return the lastest quarter values (only October values).

I recommend checking this article about the running totals topic: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/computing-running-totals-in-dax/

I hope this post helps to solve your issue and if it does consider accepting it as a solution and giving the post a thumbs up!

My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/n%C3%A4ttiahov-00001/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors