Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CatManKuhn
Helper II
Helper II

Rolling 12 Month Headcount Sum as of Start of Year

Hi all,

I am stuck once again! My goal is to create a Rolling 12 Month Headcount Sum measure as of the start of the year. For example, headcount as of 1/1/2021 was 2,690. I want to apply this to every month in 2021 and then sum for those 12 months resulting in a total of 32,280. To complicate this a little bit more here is another example. Since it is February 2022, I would want to calculate a sum of the last 12 months knowing that the start of year headcount was 2,690 in 2021 and is now 3,007 in 2022. The expected measure would sum 2 months of 2022 at 3,007 headcount and 10 months of 2021 at 2,690 for a total of 32,914. I hope this makes sense as I have a difficult time trying to describe this.

Here is a table of my data:

Year

Month

Start of Year HeadcountRolling 12 Month Headcount SumExpected Result

Jan

2021Feb2,690  
2021Mar2,690  
2021Apr2,690  
2021May2,690  
2021Jun2,690  
2021Jul2,690  
2021Aug2,690  
2021Sept2,690  
2021Oct2,690  
2021Nov2,690  
2021Dec2,6902,69032,280
2022Jan3,0073,00732,597
2022Feb3,0073,00732,914

Here is the DAX for Start of Year Headcount and Rolling 12 Month Headcount Sum:

Start of Year Headcount = CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( Headcount ), STARTOFYEAR ( 'Date'[Date] ) )
Rolling 12 Month Headcount Sum = CALCULATE (
    [Start of Year Headcount],
    DATESBETWEEN (
        'Date'[Date],
        NEXTDAY ( SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR ( LASTDATE ( 'Date'[Date] ) ) ),
        LASTDATE ( 'Date'[Date] )
    )
)

Thanks in advance for your time and efforts! Please let me know if I can supply any additional information that may be helpful.

15 REPLIES 15
CatManKuhn
Helper II
Helper II

I should clarify. My Date table is at the day level. In the table, above I am using a date hierarchy. The trick here is that Headcount table is at the month end and start of year level. This means there are 13 dates in a completed year. I want to return the start of year value for each month in a year, sum this up and divide by 12 for the number of months in a year. I think the issue I am having is that I am filtering the Start of Year Headcount to the first day of the year. When I use other time intelligence functions it is considering only the first day of the year so it doesn't sum the start of year value for 12 months. This is pretty confusing so I apologize if this is not clear.

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CatManKuhn ,

You could try edate() function.

Check this measure:

Measure = SUMX(FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table'),'Table'[date]>EDATE(SELECTEDVALUE('date'[date]),-12)&&'Table'[date]<=SELECTEDVALUE('date'[date])),'Table'[Start of Year Headcount])

1.PNG

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

This works perfectly in your example, but I don't get any values when I enter this. It is entirely null. Any ideas why this may be?

Measure Test = SUMX(FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Headcount'),'Headcount'[Date]>EDATE(SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date]),-12)&&'Headcount'[Date]<=SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date])),'Headcount'[Start of Year Headcount])

Thank you!! 

Hi @CatManKuhn ,

Not very certain. I created the demo based on the data you shared above. Is it possible that some conditions were ignored? You may try the below formula again. If it still doesn't work, please share the pbix.

Measure Test = SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Headcount'),format('Headcount'[Date],"YYYYMM")>format(EDATE(SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date]),-12),"YYYYMM")&&format('Headcount'[Date],"YYYYMM")<=format(SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Date]),"YYYYMM")),'Headcount'[Start of Year Headcount])

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

I will work to upload a pbix file. I will have to create a fake data set as this is sensitive data that I cannot share as it currently exists. What is the relationship betweent the Date and Headcount tables in your example? Is it joined on Date[Date] and Headcount[Date]?

Thanks!

serpiva64
Super User
Super User

Hi, 

Try creating this measure

Date = DATEVALUE("01-"&'Table'[Month]&"-"&'Table'[Year])

then link it to your date table.

Then with this measure all function:

12 Month Running Total =
Var SelectedMaxDate = MAX ( Dates[Date] )
Var MinDate =
CALCULATE (
MIN ( Dates[Date] ),
FILTER (
ALL ( Dates ),
DATEADD (
Dates[Date],
YEAR
) >= SelectedMaxDate
)
)
Return
CALCULATE (
SUM ( 'Table'[Start of Year Headcount] ),
ALL ( Dates ),
Dates[Date] <= SelectedMaxDate,
Dates[Date] >= MinDate
)

I hope this solution is able to help you to solve your issue and if it does consider giving the post a thumbs up or accept it as a solution!

Thank you for the response. The Date measure results in an error. I tried the other measure, but it only returns the start of year headcount value.

Sorry but i forgot to insert the measure:

12 Month Running Total =
Var SelectedMaxDate = MAX ( Dates[Date] )
Var MinDate =
CALCULATE (
MIN ( Dates[Date] ),
FILTER (
ALL ( Dates ),
DATEADD (
Dates[Date],
YEAR
) >= SelectedMaxDate
)
)
Return
CALCULATE (
SUM ( 'Table'[Start of Year Headcount] ),
ALL ( Dates ),
Dates[Date] <= SelectedMaxDate,
Dates[Date] >= MinDate
)

Regarding the date maybe it depends on your local formatfor date? Be sure that Date is a calculated column

Where are you creating the Date column? On the date table, headcount table (where Start of Year headcount exists), or a new table? I am confused by the "link it to your date table" statement.

Thanks!

Hi,

this is the model.

serpiva64_2-1645049879740.png

My values and table

serpiva64_3-1645049924331.png

My column date in table

serpiva64_4-1645049983367.png

and MonthInt in Dates
serpiva64_5-1645050040287.png

That's all.

I try to study if it is possible to share the Pbix

Hi,

this is the result i obtained.

serpiva64_1-1643909720409.png

To do this i create a query:

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fdFBC8IgGAbgv/Lh2YNz1doxqIjBCrZTjB1ssxWYjqVR/z63sfJQgvqCzwuKFgU6ctYhjFIl9cVmrlmnQZ2h34cdZ3WljNRWMiXEVTYQUBjKX4Tc3Gxh82x5pXkNGb8boVGJC0QJDSwlTNqVLmJiox+ObfmpNzwiDNPhdLjeX161Xk7Zy8eJkX4W3rNN4+Oct9rnh8rLe/Xw8ZpXDk8ZUkyXZOrRz9OHmJDITYrnceT2xm/40YuDGSrLNw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Year = _t, #"(blank)" = _t, #"(blank).1" = _t, #"(blank).2" = _t, #"(blank).3" = _t]),
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Promoted Headers",",","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Start of Year Headcount", "Rolling 12 Month Headcount Sum", "Expected Result"}),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Replaced Value",{{"Year", Int64.Type}, {"Month", type text}, {"Start of Year Headcount", type number}, {"Rolling 12 Month Headcount Sum", type number}, {"Expected Result", type number}})
in
#"Changed Type"

Then i used my usual query to create the date table and load to the model.

This is the relationship:

serpiva64_2-1643909871290.png

is a column in Table and "12 Month Running Total" is a mesure:

serpiva64_3-1643909977862.png

ValtteriN
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Try something like this:

CALCULATE ( [Start of year headcount], DATESBETWEEN ( 'Calendar'[Date], DATEADD ( LASTDATE ( DATEADD ( 'Calendar'[Date], -12, MONTH ) ), +1, DAY ), LASTDATE ( 'Calendar'[Date] ) )  )

I hope this post helps to solve your issue and if it does consider accepting it as a solution and giving the post a thumbs up!

My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/n%C3%A4ttiahov-00001/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thank you for the response. I tried your suggestion, but I get the same values as my Rolling 12 Month Headcount Sum measure.

@CatManKuhn 

What kind of relationship do you have between your fact table and calendar table?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

I have a many to one relationship between Headcount and Date.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors