Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alpeytongreene
Helper II
Helper II

Returning a 0 for Negative Number- but giving positive numbers and totaling without the negative

I am working on a vacancy rate for my organization and we are going to be using an adjusted vacancy (if over budgeted they want to show 0 instead for the negative number). I have the 0 showing and the numbers showing- but it is still adding in the totals. 

My formulas are: 

Adj Vacancy = IF(Recruitment_Emp_List[Vacancy]<0,0, [Vacancy])
Adj. Vacancy Rate = DIVIDE([Adj Vacancy], [Budget FTE Hours divided by Full FTE])

Snip of a table I am using to look at the data. The adjusted Vacancy should read about 1,518.18 and the adjusted rate would change to between 12% (I believe). 11% was the overall including the negative. 
Vacancy and Adjusted Vacancy.PNG
14 REPLIES 14
PaulOlding
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

How about

Adj Vacancy =

VAR _PositiveVacancy =

CALCULATE(

SUM(Recruitment_Emp_List[Vacancy]),

Recruitment_Emp_List[Vacancy] > 0

)

VAR _Result = COALESCE([Adj Vacancy], 0])

RETURN

_Result

Adj. Vacancy Rate Measure would stay as you have it.

Good Morning Paul- 

I am still getting the error on the Vacancy part. Error Vacancy.PNG

The row is COALESCE hasa mistake.  Let's try this one.

Adj Vacancy =

VAR _PositiveVacancy =

CALCULATE(

SUM(Recruitment_Emp_List[Vacancy]),

Recruitment_Emp_List[Vacancy] > 0

)

VAR _Result = COALESCE(_PositiveVacancy , 0])

RETURN

_Result

I still get an error, could it be because the vacancy is not a column of it's own but a formula I have included?

Ah, ok.  Yes, that would be a problem.  It'll help to see a screenshot of the model and the definition of [Vacancy].

Hi Paul! Sorry for my delay an urgent project came to my desk and I had to put this aside. The definiton of vacancy for the model is the Budgeted FTE Hours/Full FTE (to get it into an FTE number) - Actual FTE. I am trying to recreate the two documents into one but it is proving a bit more difficult/time consuming than I thought.

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @alpeytongreene 

Can you share the pbix?

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

I can't share the pbix. I'm sorry. I am still trying to figure this one out. I am trying to use the sumx suggested below but keep getting an error message because the vacancy is a formula and not a column in the sheet I believe. I can't peel it back further the vacancy is a formula to calculate the difference between the budgeted FTE and actual FTE 

rfigtree
Resolver III
Resolver III

It will be because of context. When the total is calculated your if statement won't contain the same context as it does at row level. You will need to use an iterative approach to calculate your measure.

Can you provide an example, I am a visual person. Sorry. 

Sorry I'm on my phone waiting for wife to get up so can't give u much. When the total is calculated. Your if statement becomes if(1752.38<>0,1752.38,0).

The measure needs to use something like sumx. To calculate adjusted vacancy so the if is against each line.

I keep getting the red line errors. I am using a formula and not a column in my sheets, could that be why? I am sorry I got you in trouble! - Sorry Mrs. rfigtree! 

Adj. Vacancy Rate = DIVIDE(sumx(your table,[Adj Vacancy]), [Budget FTE Hours divided by Full FTE])

Now I'm in trouble. She got up and glared at me because i am on my phone.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors