Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lnayak
Frequent Visitor

Replace multiple values in one step using DAX

Hi All,

I have a company column with multiple common text ending with "Ltd", "Limited", "Inc", "Ltd.", "Company". I want to create a single DAX function to remove/replace these text with blank and return the value before these text. Eg:- "Facebook India Limited" to return the value "Facebook India". 
Can anyone help me with the appropriate DAX function? I know i can use replace values in Power Query but that is time consuming, am looking for a single DAX function to replace these values in one step.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BeaBF
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@lnayak Hi!

Try with this step:

#"Substitute" = Table.TransformColumns(PREVIOUS STEP,{{"COLUMN NAME", each List.Accumulate({{"Ltd",""},{"Limited",""},{"Inc",""},{"Ltd.",""},{"Company",""}},_,(string,replace) => Text.Replace(string,replace{0},replace{1}))}})

BF

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BeaBF
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@lnayak Hi!

Try with this step:

#"Substitute" = Table.TransformColumns(PREVIOUS STEP,{{"COLUMN NAME", each List.Accumulate({{"Ltd",""},{"Limited",""},{"Inc",""},{"Ltd.",""},{"Company",""}},_,(string,replace) => Text.Replace(string,replace{0},replace{1}))}})

BF

lnayak
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @BeaBF,

If you could help me get this output by using Text.BeforeDelimit function which checks for any text that ends with "Limited", "LTD", "Ltd", "ltd" ,"(" and also use ignore case to avoid adding similar text with different case.

Am very new to DAX and would love to explore new things!

Thanks!

BeaBF
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@lnayak I'm not sure I understand, but I try!
Think you have this start table:

Colonna1

Facebook India Limited
Facebook India Ltd
Facebook India Ltd.
ciao pippo
ciao pluto
ciao Ltd
Limited ciao
ciao Inc ltd
ciao inc ltd

This step: #"Substitute" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Modificato tipo", {{"Colonna1", each if
Text.EndsWith(_,"Limited" , Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase ) or Text.EndsWith(_,"Ltd", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase) or Text.EndsWith(_,"(", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase) then
List.Accumulate({{"Ltd",""},{"Limited",""},{"Inc",""},{"Ltd.",""},{"Company",""}},_,(string,replace) => Text.Replace(string,replace{0},replace{1}))
else _, type text}}) 

Check if the string ends with Limited or Ltd or "(" with case INSENSITIVE, then if it is true, substitute the character you put in te second piece of code, like the first one. 

The output will be:

Colonna1

Facebook India
Facebook India
Facebook India Ltd.
ciao pippo
ciao pluto
ciao
Limited ciao
ciao ltd
ciao inc ltd

If I did not understand the request correctly, I ask you to explain it better with examples like I did.

BF

Tontaube2
Helper IV
Helper IV

I don't know - it could be possible in Dax.

The Tutorial Video shows how this is possible - albeit in M (Data Transformation)

Tontaube2
Helper IV
Helper IV

Here's a good tutorial: https://www.howtoexcel.org/bulk-replace-values/

Edit: Just noticed: The Tutorial is for M replace. With Dax you can https://dax.guide/replace/ or
https://dax.guide/substitute/

I tried above one but it looks like I need to hard code each value is '<old text> to replace and get the output with a replaced text.

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value","LIMITED","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Supplier - Clean"})

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Added Custom2","Ltd","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Supplier - Clean"})

Can i get a solution to club in all items to be replaced {"LIMITED", "Ltd"} into one and to replace with {" ", " "} all at once. 

Many Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors