Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kstiegler
Advocate I
Advocate I

Removing filters in a distance measure when tables have a common table in between

Hello all,

I'm trying to write a measure to calculate distance between two lat/long pairs. The measure works as expected when my tables are NOT related; however, when the relationships are set up as the rest of the report requires, I've been unable to figure out the correct way to implement ALL/REMOVEFILTERS/similar such that the measure still works when the relationships are active.

Here's the working measure:

Distance to Owner = 
var Lat1 = MIN(SystemUser[Employee Latitude])
var Lng1 = MIN(SystemUser[Employee Longitude])

var Lat2 = MIN(Account[Latitude])
var Lng2 = MIN(Account[Longitude])
---- Algorithm here -----
var P = DIVIDE( PI(), 180 )
var A = 0.5 - COS((Lat2-Lat1) * p)/2 + 
    COS(Lat1 * p) * COS(lat2 * P) * (1-COS((Lng2- Lng1) * p))/2
var final = 12742 * ASIN((SQRT(A))) * 0.621371
return final

Here's the SystemUser table:

Employee IDEmployee LatitudeEmployee Longitude
145-90
246-91

Here's the Account table:

Account IDAccount LatitudeAccount Longitude
A45-90
B46-91

There is an intermediate table in between the above tables:

IntermediateIDOwner IDAccount ID
XYZ1A
ABC2B

Relationships:

SystemUser[Employee ID] one-to-many IntermediateTable[Owner ID] , cross filter direction is single from SystemUser -- > IntermediateTable

Account[AccountID] one-to-many IntermediateTable[Account ID], cross filter direction is BOTH

The goal is to be able to calculate distance between Employees and Accounts, and I've been testing my revised measure in a matrix like this :

Account AAccount B
Employee 1 |5 miles10 miles
Employee 2 |7 miles12 miles

As the measure is currently written, however, I only get the same vastly incorrect numbers (~6,300 miles) for all entries in the matrix. I expect that the solution to my issue correcting the measure to remove the filters, but I've been unable to figure it out thus far and I'm hoping someone with more experience with ALL/REMOVEFILTERS/etc. may have some insight.

1 REPLY 1
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@kstiegler , can you create a column?

If they are related, You can bring in a column using related or relatedtable in another table

refer 4 ways to copy data from one table to another
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu1mWxR23jU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czNHt7UXIe8

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors