Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

arkojj
Frequent Visitor

Previous N week data

Hi,

I have a table that captures registrations for events and this table has 2 date fields - RegistrationDate and EventStartDate.

I need to calculate the cumulative No. of registrations for each event from the previous 52 weeks until the event starts (illustrated below).

ESD = Event Start Date

EventName ESD-52weekESD-51weekESD-50week...ESD-2weekESD-1weekESD-0week 
Event1047...152044 
Event27727...354254 
Event3152133...354766 

The last numbers (44, 54, 66) are the total registrations for the respective events.

Calculation on the registrations need to be on RegistrationDate and reaches its max at EventStartDate.

A tabular representation would work fine for me.

Any ideas on how this can be achieved, please?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

The simplest way to do this would be just add a calculated column to your table with this formula

RegistrationWeek = DATEDIFF(Table[EventStartDate], Table[RegistrationDate], WEEK)

That will give you # of weeks before the event (-1,-42, etc.).  You can then make a matrix with Event on the rows and the new column on the Columns, and use a running total measure like this

Cumulative Registrations =
VAR __thisweek =
SELECTEDVALUE ( Table[RegistrationWeek] )
RETURN
CALCULATE (
COUNTROWS ( Table ),
ALL ( Table[RegistrationWeek] ),
Table[RegistrationWeek] <= __thisweek
)

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

The simplest way to do this would be just add a calculated column to your table with this formula

RegistrationWeek = DATEDIFF(Table[EventStartDate], Table[RegistrationDate], WEEK)

That will give you # of weeks before the event (-1,-42, etc.).  You can then make a matrix with Event on the rows and the new column on the Columns, and use a running total measure like this

Cumulative Registrations =
VAR __thisweek =
SELECTEDVALUE ( Table[RegistrationWeek] )
RETURN
CALCULATE (
COUNTROWS ( Table ),
ALL ( Table[RegistrationWeek] ),
Table[RegistrationWeek] <= __thisweek
)

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

Hi @mahoneypat ,

As per your suggestion, this is what I could achieve.
Screen.jpg

There are a couple more things that I would like to know :

Question 1 - How can I populate the empty cells with the same previous value? (For eg - the highlighted part should contain 150 for -3, -2, -1 and 0 weeks)

Question 2 - If I select only events that has gaps, even the header (RegistrationWeek) skips the columns that has no data. How can I keep this static to always show 0 to -52 even if there is no data? (this is related to Question 1 as there is no data to show in that column)

The reason you are seeing blanks is that there are no rows for that week, so there is not a RegistrationWeek value to go in the first part with SELECTEDVALUE().  To get around that there are two approaches that could work.  I recommend the second one:

1. Add blank rows in the query editor to fill in the missing dates/weeks (e.g., make a full list of dates/weeks, convert to table, and then merge your data into it for each customer)

2. Make a disconnected table of regisration week numbers (e.g., with GENERATESERIES(-42,1,1) or something like that and use that in your columns.  Then modify the measure expression to get the SELECTEDVALUE() of that column.

Regards,

Pat

Went by the second approach and that helped... Thank you! 😊

@mahoneypat 

This is excellent Pat... Thanks a ton.

Your solution is just about right. I can modify the rest as per the requirement.

stevedep
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

So looking back 52 weeks but not before the registration date, or will there not be any registratios anyway before the registration date?

harshnathani
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @harshnathani ,

The criticality of my requirement is that we have 2 separate date fields and the calculation is based on both.

No. of registrations are being calculated on the RegistrationDate, whereas the offset needs to be calculated on the EventStartDate.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors