Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Milan14
Frequent Visitor

Pre-Filtering The Result Based on User Selection

Hi All,

I have a dashboard which mostly are tables, and I would like to pre-filter the result that show in another page by clicking on a button. For example, on my dashboard, I have two tables for two different channels (Channel A and Channel B) that showed under the same page with few details’ buttons are created. When I click on a details button for Channel A, it will navigate to another dashboard page with the details table that only show the information belonging to Channel A. This logic same goes for Channel B too.

Does anyone have any suggestions that could help?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kindly Regards,

Milan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Milan14 

If you would like to navigate current dashboard users to other dashboards when they click on buttons . You may consider this workaround. Set the Action of your button as Web URL, and input the dashboard link as the value of it. Then, when they click on the button, they will be brought to related dashboard.

vcazhengmsft_0-1636446311551.png

If you would like to filter another dashboard based on the selection in current dashboard, unfortunately, we don’t support this scenario currently. We only support pass filters to report by using parameter in the Report URL, which you can refer to Filter a report using query string parameters in the URL - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.If you really need it, please consider voting for these ideas:

Microsoft Idea  · Pass filters in URL (powerbi.com)

Microsoft Idea  · Filter whole report/dashboard with one selection (powerbi.com)

Microsoft Idea  · Dashboard filters filter drill through report (powerbi.com)

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Milan14 

If you would like to navigate current dashboard users to other dashboards when they click on buttons . You may consider this workaround. Set the Action of your button as Web URL, and input the dashboard link as the value of it. Then, when they click on the button, they will be brought to related dashboard.

vcazhengmsft_0-1636446311551.png

If you would like to filter another dashboard based on the selection in current dashboard, unfortunately, we don’t support this scenario currently. We only support pass filters to report by using parameter in the Report URL, which you can refer to Filter a report using query string parameters in the URL - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.If you really need it, please consider voting for these ideas:

Microsoft Idea  · Pass filters in URL (powerbi.com)

Microsoft Idea  · Filter whole report/dashboard with one selection (powerbi.com)

Microsoft Idea  · Dashboard filters filter drill through report (powerbi.com)

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

Hi @v-cazheng-msft,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried out with the method you suggested and surprisingly it's works. But currently I'm having an issue which it brought me to a new tab everytime when I click on a different value. May I know is there any way to open the Web URL under the same tab?

Does anyone have any ideas that could help?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks in advance!

Kindly Regards,

Milan

Hi @Milan14 

Thanks for your feedback! For Power BI itself, we currently don't provide a method to specify how the Web URL open, but I do see the similar needs in Power BI ideas. You may vote for these ideas here:

Best Regards,

BeaBF
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Milan14 Hi!

What you would like to implement is called drillthrought and it is a feature present in Power BI.

Here you have a guide: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-drillthrough
If you have any doubts, ask me,
B.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors