Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CliffordAP
Helper II
Helper II

PowerBI - Timeseries of categorical changes

Hello all,

I have a simplified PowerBI data model here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/13aXUR8mw2MdP3tw9K9LHxhqRCZqPaLwz/view?usp=share_link

I want to make a timeseries visual that accounts for when a user's status category changes over time.

This is what the model looks like: 

CliffordAP_0-1669913922071.png

The current status table shows the status of users TODAY, and there is a separate table tracking the historical changes to their status. The visual so far looks like this: 

CliffordAP_1-1669913922072.png

I need a measure of some kind that will evaluate the correct count of users' status over time. Something like: 

CliffordAP_2-1669913922073.png

I have tried using LOOKUPVALUE, and different forms of CALCULATE but I haven't gotten very far.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
brtfrschnr
Frequent Visitor

Test this out with your dataset...

This query finds the number of Actives, Frozen, Closed on a given day. I haven't tested if it works when users change from Frozen/Closed back to Active. Here is an output line chart:

brtfrschnr_0-1669925818410.png

let
Source = ***ENTER SOURCE HERE***,

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"User ID", type text}, {"Status", type text}}),
#"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Changed Type", List.Distinct(#"Changed Type"[#"User ID"]), "User ID", "Status"),
#"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Pivoted Column",{"1", "2", "3"}),
#"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Filled Down", {"Date"}, Date, {"Date"}, "Query1", JoinKind.RightOuter),
#"Expanded Query1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Query1", {"Date"}, {"Query1.Date"}),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded Query1", each Date.IsInPreviousNMonths([Query1.Date], 2)),
#"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Date"}),
#"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Removed Columns1",{"Query1.Date", "1", "2", "3"}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Reordered Columns",{{"Query1.Date", "Date"}}),
#"Filled Down2" = Table.FillDown(#"Renamed Columns",{"1", "2", "3"}),
#"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Filled Down2", {"Date"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
#"Pivoted Column1" = Table.Pivot(#"Unpivoted Columns", List.Distinct(#"Unpivoted Columns"[Value]), "Value", "Attribute", List.Count),
#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Pivoted Column1",{{"Date", Order.Ascending}})
in
#"Sorted Rows"

Hello brtfrschnr,
Thank you for your response. I submitted this as a simplified data model with hopes that I can find a methodology with a DAX abstraction. It isn't as feasible for me to restructure the "actual" model in PowerQuery.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors