Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TDouglass
Frequent Visitor

Power Pivot Summary Total and Expand does not equal detail when drilling to transactions

Good Morning,

I have a situation that I am not sure where to start looking.  We have a pivot table that has a cube as its source that is created from Power BI Tabular Model.  The rows displayed in the pivot table is not summarizing to the transaction detail that I get when I double click on the cell.

For example

Power Pivot

Category  pounds total is 1,000

sku 1    is 300

sku 2    is 200

sku 3    is 500

However, when i double click on the 1000 on the category to display the transactions that makeup this 1,000 i get 

order 1   sku  1     150

order 2   sku 1       150

order 1   sku  2      100

order 3   sku  2       100

order 2   sku 3         300

order 4   sku 3          200

order 5   sku 4         200

What are some reasons that the sku 4 would not show up on the power pivot table?  I do have some filters on the pivot table fields but i removed them all and pivot table did not include the 200.  I would expect that the 200 should be included in the summary as all the criteria fit.

I also have another version where I have my filters as slicers and the 200 from order 5 sku 4 do show up on the pivot table.

1 REPLY 1
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

Without having the sample data I can only guess - can you provide an anonymised sample?
Without more information my first guess would be that some other dimension is filtering out either order5 or sku4. It could be related to time, other product attributes etc. In Excel if a dimension is filtered then in the field list a funnel is shown (as below - Order is filtered)
Capture.PNG
Other option is that the calculation on the Category level is not a simple sum, but e.g. a weighted one - if that's the case you would need to provide syntax for it

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors