Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rsderby68
Resolver I
Resolver I

Power BI: How to generate a table of daily web traffic reports? Help?

I pull data from a digital site via an API into Power BI for reporting.  The API has an analytics endpoint for a web traffic report, but it is ONLY an aggregate report, as in it won't make one call and separate it into individual days.  I can call (below) to show the traffic for any particular day.  I would like to write a query to use this API call to generate a table where each row is the traffic for a day starting at 2022-05-15 until whatever the current day is.  So a row for 05-15, 05-16, 05-18, until the current date.  

Anyone have a suggestion?  

https://api.somewhere.tv/analytics?type=traffic&from=2022-05-15&to=2022-05-15

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Here's one way to do it in the query editor.  To see how it works, just create a blank query, open the Advanced Editor and replace the text there with the M code below.

let
    StartDate = #date(2022,5,15),
    EndDate = Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow()),
    DateList = List.Dates(StartDate, Duration.TotalDays(EndDate - StartDate) + 1, #duration(1,0,0,0)),
    Custom1 = List.Transform(DateList, each Date.ToText(_, "yyyy-MM-dd")),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Custom1, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", "DateAsText"}}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"DateAsText", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "WebCall", each Web.Contents("https://api.somewhere.tv/analytics?type=traffic&from=" & [DateAsText] & "&to=" &  [DateAsText]))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Pat

Microsoft Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Here's one way to do it in the query editor.  To see how it works, just create a blank query, open the Advanced Editor and replace the text there with the M code below.

let
    StartDate = #date(2022,5,15),
    EndDate = Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow()),
    DateList = List.Dates(StartDate, Duration.TotalDays(EndDate - StartDate) + 1, #duration(1,0,0,0)),
    Custom1 = List.Transform(DateList, each Date.ToText(_, "yyyy-MM-dd")),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Custom1, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", "DateAsText"}}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"DateAsText", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "WebCall", each Web.Contents("https://api.somewhere.tv/analytics?type=traffic&from=" & [DateAsText] & "&to=" &  [DateAsText]))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Pat

Microsoft Employee

Pat, did I mention you are my favorite person?  Thanks! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors