Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shaun2020
Frequent Visitor

Power BI DAX: Time Duration calculations displayed as [h]:mm:ss over 24 hrs (145:33:24)

I need assistance with calculating the sum of all the time taken for tasks being done. None of the existing solutions I have tried work as I need them to. The RADACAD example works for the card visual.

I have a two tables that have the same columns but are for two different departments, I could append the tables as a single table, but I don't think it makes a difference at this point.

The source files are imported from xlsx and the column Duration is General and appears as 03:10:10 It is then imported with Power Query using the Folder option and making changes to the sample file.

I need to be able to sum this duration column in Power BI, however I do need to calculate total per user, filtering different dates.

I have used transorm to duration, then in DAX SUMX and SUM the values using the var method, splitting and concatinating these values to RETURN a value.

This is all good and well if I need to display the total on a card but does not work when using it in a table layout for users not generating data.

My Employee table has everyone in, I can filter by department, group, function, manager or any of the other filter values.

My data:

EmployeeDuration
Emp100:00:00
Emp1null
Emp200:00:08
Emp2null
Emp200:00:00
Emp100:26:51
Emp300:00:17
Emp400:00:09

My requirement is as follows:

I need to display the value in hours exceeding 24 hours. As an example 145:33:24

When using the table visual, I drop the group and employeename in the rows field. I also use a slicer on group.

In the values field, I cannot use the DAX calculated duration as it then provides everyones time in the rows.

I could filter, lock and hide the department, but the problem I have using this is the employees with no data/duration shows the time as :: which is not a usable value and just looks wrong.

The values are not usable in a chart as they are in TEXT format. 

I have spent a lot of time looking for and trying various solutions and none work with the charts or tables thus far.

Please help?

(Are there future plans for PBI format to include [h]:nn:ss so that it works beyond 24 hrs or Duration to be included in the table Data Type after applying transformation? I don't know who to direct this to as it is probably the devs.)

1 REPLY 1
FreemanZ
Super User
Super User

nothing in the content?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors