Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Position in drill-down hierarchy of a visual in the absence of row context?

I know how to use ISINSCOPE to establish where I'm at within a hierarchy in a matrix visual that has row context. However, in some visuals such as maps, there's no row context for ISINSCOPE to work. Is there any way I may I missed to know, say, whether I'm at the country/state/county level of a map visual? I need this to be able to do dynamic titles, measures etc.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals
5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@otravers try HASONEFILTER function.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

@parry2k thanks for your reply. HASONEFILTER does work for "Click to turn on Drill Down", as in the following example, which indeed is better than ISINSCOPE for my use case:

drill-down.png

However what I was really after is to capture where I'm at in the hierarchy after I've clicked on "Go to the next level in the hierarchy." I can see how my question was phrased ambiguously. The following example shows that the map is not generating a new filter context for HASONEFILTER to work against:

drill-down-next-level.png

(These screenshots are taken with the Mapbox custom visual but the default Map visual behaves similarly.)

So, to rephrase my inquiry, I'm looking for a way to capture in DAX the fact of going to the next level of a hierarchy without drilling down to a specific value of the parent hierarchy, for instance going to counties from states while still showing all states.

BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Pjotr 
I have exactly the same problem to solve.
Have you found a solution to the problem?
If so, can you share?

@otravers - were you ever able to figure out how to get this to work?

I am trying to get a dynamic title for a chart based on the level of a hierarchy that has been drilled down to. 

Any other method as ISINSCOPE doesn't seem to work for this. 

No, I never solved this and still would like to know. There's an "Apply drill down filter to" interaction option, but it doesn't address the scenario I outlined:

Controlling Power BI drill down with a few tricks - YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors