Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dfricker

Populate Conditional Column by Common ID

Hi All,

I am new to Power BI, and I am stuck on the best way to solve an issue. The requirement is to populate multiple columns based multiple criteria from multi-rowed data. I was able to get the conditional column set up correctly, but I would like the rows to populate on all rows based on that ID. 

IDCriteria 1Critera 2Success
001MeetsDoes not meetYes
001Does not meetDoes not meetNo
002Does not meetDoest not meetNo

I would like to be able to see success = yes for all rows for any time there is a success based on any subsequent rows. What is the best way to accomplish this within Power Query? I was able to get this to work on the report layer by adding in a column that concatenated the values, and another that checked that column for data, but I would like a better way since there will be multiple "success" columns. 

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Is it ok to have a calculated column instead of using Power Query (since this is in the DAX forum)? Perhaps this can work?

Success =
VAR _rowId = 'Table'[ID]
RETURN
    IF (
        CONTAINS ( ALL ( 'Table' ); 'Table'[ID]; _rowId; 'Table'[Criteria 1]; "Meets" )
            || CONTAINS ( ALL ( 'Table' ); 'Table'[ID]; _rowId; 'Table'[Criteria 2]; "Meets" );
        "Yes";
        "No"
    )

Best Regards // Ulf 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

As you rightly say - this is a job for Power Query, not DAX. Please ask this question on a Power Query forum.

Best
D
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Is it ok to have a calculated column instead of using Power Query (since this is in the DAX forum)? Perhaps this can work?

Success =
VAR _rowId = 'Table'[ID]
RETURN
    IF (
        CONTAINS ( ALL ( 'Table' ); 'Table'[ID]; _rowId; 'Table'[Criteria 1]; "Meets" )
            || CONTAINS ( ALL ( 'Table' ); 'Table'[ID]; _rowId; 'Table'[Criteria 2]; "Meets" );
        "Yes";
        "No"
    )

Best Regards // Ulf 

Yes, this is much cleaner than what I was doing. I could also use this to have the full logic in here.  Thanks for the help! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors