Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KevinParijs
Frequent Visitor

Openingbalancemonth vs own calculation difference

Hello,

I'm trying to report on the Opening/Closing Balance by month, but for some reason, my very first Opening Balance (using the OpeningBalanceMonth function is not showing any data).
When I rewrite the measure it does show a number.
Can someone tell me why this is happening? 

Measure 1 (using the OpeningBalanceMonth function)

KevinParijs_0-1659013351304.png

Measure 2 (using own logic)

KevinParijs_1-1659013399953.png

Below you see the difference between the two measures.
I would expect that the measure 1 (with the use of OpeningBalanceMonth function) would return the exact same thing as measure 2 (with the use of own logic)

KevinParijs_5-1659013505280.png

Regards,

Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KevinParijs ,

Approve with @KevinParijs , the Microsoft Docs is  not very clearly, although it returns a scalar value that represents the expression evaluated at the first date of the month in the current context, the real calculate logic of this function is evaluating the specified expression for the date corresponding to the end of the previous month after applying all the filters.

Here is a simple sample:

vjianbolimsft_0-1659432830447.png

vjianbolimsft_1-1659432830451.png

From the picture, you can see that the opening balance of January 2022 is blank, that is because there is no data of December 2019, the opening balance of January 2022 would be the closing balance of December 2019. And if you continue to view the data of February 2022, you can see the opening balance will be the closing balance of January 2022.

vjianbolimsft_2-1659432830453.png

That is why your first measure does not work.

For more details, please refer to:

OPENINGBALANCEMONTH Function DAX.

OPENINGBALANCEMONTH, OPENINGBALANCEQUARTER, OPENINGBALANCEYEAR – DAX Guide - SQLBI 

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KevinParijs ,

Approve with @KevinParijs , the Microsoft Docs is  not very clearly, although it returns a scalar value that represents the expression evaluated at the first date of the month in the current context, the real calculate logic of this function is evaluating the specified expression for the date corresponding to the end of the previous month after applying all the filters.

Here is a simple sample:

vjianbolimsft_0-1659432830447.png

vjianbolimsft_1-1659432830451.png

From the picture, you can see that the opening balance of January 2022 is blank, that is because there is no data of December 2019, the opening balance of January 2022 would be the closing balance of December 2019. And if you continue to view the data of February 2022, you can see the opening balance will be the closing balance of January 2022.

vjianbolimsft_2-1659432830453.png

That is why your first measure does not work.

For more details, please refer to:

OPENINGBALANCEMONTH Function DAX.

OPENINGBALANCEMONTH, OPENINGBALANCEQUARTER, OPENINGBALANCEYEAR – DAX Guide - SQLBI 

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@KevinParijs , Opening balance return data on the last date of the previous month. So it will not work the same as what you have

Refer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lzYOXI5wfo&t=37s

Thank you for your response, but the Microsoft Docs is showing the following definition:

"Evaluates the expression at the first date of the month in the current context"

KevinParijs_0-1659016827665.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/openingbalancemonth-function-dax

This made me think that by using this function it would evaluate the 1/january/2021.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors