Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lutinho
Frequent Visitor

Not sure how to make this calculation among 3 related tables

Dear community,

I am working on a dashboard and I am struggling to make a certain calculation. I am not used to making a lot of calculations et cetera in Power BI but at my new job I have to, since I am not allowed to clean, transform and calculate data in KNIME before importing it into Power BI. In KNIME it is not hard at all to make the calculation I am trying to make now in Power BI, so I hope you can help me out.

I have three related columns:

- Quotes

- Quote_items

- Quote_classification

For each Nr_ in 'Quotes', one or more rows in 'Quote_items' form the total [Amount] of the order. That total quote amount can't be found in 'Quotes', unfortunately. So there is a one-to-many relationship between these tables. 

Each Nr_ also contains a classification. 'Quote_classification' is a small table that contains a weightingfactor for each classification. This factor is used to calculate a simple expectation of future sales. 'Quote_classification' is related to 'Quotes' in a one-to-many manner.

I am trying to make a new column/measure/whatever that does the following calculation:

1. SUM(All subtotals) from 'Quote_items' for a given Nr_ in 'Quotes'

2. Multiply this total with the corresponding factor from 'Quote_classification'.

A few months back I would do these calculations via KNIME and just make a new column. Now I need to do this in Power BI. Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @Lutinho ,

I feel your pain, but would you be able to supply some pictures of what you have, and where you want to go? You could dummy it up in Excel.

Pleas read this post to get your question answered more quickly:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hey @Nathaniel_C ,

Thanks for your quick response. I dummied up a simple Excel:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15xLS892sVsrcs7SrgHCJNsxfKxanTrBp

The relationships are as follows:

Quotes 1:* QuoteItems

Quotes *:1 Factors

Thanks in advance!

With kind regards,

Lutijn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors