Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

xhead
Helper II
Helper II

Not-quite-semi-additive measures

I have a source table that has a snapshot of loan data for every day of the month (whether it changes or not, and no, I don't like this structure, but I'm constrained to use it for now). The sample I'm using is shown below (the actual table has many more columns, and some of them do actually change day by day, unlike what you see here).

table_raw_data.JPG

Some of the columns in the table are "opening/closing balance" columns, like Principal Balance. This is a semi-additive measure, where I can add up the column across multiple loans, but I cannot add it over time - I must take the last snapshot. 

Principal Balance = CALCULATE(sum('Loan Master'[principal_balance]),LASTNONBLANK('Loan Master'[report_dt], 'Loan Master'[report_dt]))

However, the Principal Paid and Interest Paid measures are only semi-additive *within the month*, but fully additive across months. I need to subtotal the column for the last day of *each month* within the filter context. 

If I just use the same measure expression as the Principal Balance above, it works within the month.

Principal Paid = CALCULATE(sum('Loan Master'[principal_payment]),LASTNONBLANK('Loan Master'[report_dt],'Loan Master'[report_dt]))

But the totals over all months don't work (I didn't expect them to, as above):

semi-semi-additive.JPG

In this case, I'd like the Total line to show $395.60 for Principal Paid and $3.50 for Interest Paid.

I can't seem to figure out how to use GROUPBY, SUMMARIZECOLUMNS, ADDCOLUMNS, SUMX or some combination to get it to work. 

Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Here is a sample PBIX. 

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
xhead
Helper II
Helper II

I fixed this myself.

I added a Date dimension table, related it to Loan Master by report_dt, then updated the measure expression to this:

Interest Payment - correct =
SUMX (
    SUMMARIZE ( 'Loan Master', 'Date'[Year Month] ),
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Loan Master'[interest_payment] ),
        LASTNONBLANK ( 'Loan Master'[report_dt], 'Loan Master'[report_dt] )
    )
)

Here's my updated PBIX file.

Mike

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
xhead
Helper II
Helper II

I fixed this myself.

I added a Date dimension table, related it to Loan Master by report_dt, then updated the measure expression to this:

Interest Payment - correct =
SUMX (
    SUMMARIZE ( 'Loan Master', 'Date'[Year Month] ),
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Loan Master'[interest_payment] ),
        LASTNONBLANK ( 'Loan Master'[report_dt], 'Loan Master'[report_dt] )
    )
)

Here's my updated PBIX file.

Mike

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

In my dates table I have "First Day of Month" and "Last Day of Month" flags. Might be worth considering?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors