cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMN1012
Regular Visitor

Newbie - Think I have no understanidng of table relationships.

Hi all,
I am trying to so something which I think is very basic. I have four tables. Three have data that I need to work out percentage utilization for each type of service and one table that I am using as a lookup table to get a count from. I created a measure for each table that works the math to return the percentage, when I run them induvidually they seem to work. When I try to create a dashboard and have all in the same project, they seem to fail, I lose the ability to even make a visulation work. I think this may be down to my very little (mis) understranding of table relationships. I have tried to point the three tables that contain data to the lookup table. I attach a link to a test pbix project I created just now to show my project hoping it give a better understanding.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gkywr14r40v2cd6/CampusStatsTest.pbix?dl=0 

Any explaintions you can give to point me in the right direction would be great.

2 REPLIES 2
JMN1012
Regular Visitor

Hi @maxigtsh thanks for your reply. I am not sure this will work as I also need to query the Monthly Global table to get a total count of people. Also, when I try to create table relationships as your diagram it will only let me create many to many.

Any ideas?

Tks

maxigtsh
Helper I
Helper I

Hello,

you can try to build a so called bridge-table. Your relationships are based on a many-to-many relationship, which is not to consider.

I'm not exactly sure how you want to connect them, but you can try it with the City name. Simply build a table like this and connect all the tables to it. You will then have a 1:n relationship between them.

City-Table.PNG       BridgeTable.PNG

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
May 23 2022 epsiode 5 without aka link.jpg

The Power BI Community Show

Welcome to the Power BI Community Show! Jeroen ter Heerdt talks about the importance of Data Modeling.

charticulator_carousel_with_text (1).png

Charticulator Design Challenge

Put your data visualization and design skills to the test! This exciting challenge is happening now through May 31st!

Power BI Dev Camp Session 22 with aka link 768x460.jpg

Check it out!

Mark your calendars and join us on Thursday, May 26 at 11a PDT for a great session with Ted Pattison!

Power BI Release May 2022 768x460.png

Check it out!

Click here to read more about the May 2022 updates!