Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SanchezDK
Frequent Visitor

Need help with optimization of calculated column

In my model I have a calculated column used to find the creation date of an entry number on the table 'G/L Entry'. The date is located on the table 'G/L Register'.

My formula is a follows:

Creation Date = CALCULATE(
VALUES('G/L Register'[Creation Date]);
FILTER('G/L Register';
'G/L Entry'[Entry No] >= 'G/L Register'[From Entry No_] &&
'G/L Entry'[Entry No] <= 'G/L Register'[To Entry No_]
))

However, this formula is incredibly heavy on memory and performance and takes forever to evaluate. 
Does anybody know how to improve this?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about this:

[Creation Date] = -- column in 'G/L Entry'
var _entryNumber = 'G/L Entry'[Entry No]
return
	CALCULATE(
		MAX( 'G/L Register[Creation Date] ),
		'G/L Register'[From Entry No_] <= __entryNumber,
		__entryNumber <= 'G/L Register'[To Entry No_]
	)

First, I understand that the intervals [[From Entry No_], [To Entry No_]] are ranges that cover the whole range and are non-overlapping. Second, I understand there's no relationship set up between the two tables. But if there is, for instance, 'G/L Entry' has a many-to-one relationship with 'G/L Register' (as I think it should have since one entry can easily map into just one record in 'G/L Register' that the entry number belongs to), then the measure would be different and potentially much, much faster:

[Creation Date] = CALCULATE( MAX( 'G/L Register[Creation Date] ) )

Best

Darek

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thank you for your response. 

I have tried your first suggestion, however this takes up all memory. 

You are right about your assumptions. There is no relationship between  'G/L Entry' and 'G/L Register'. Perhaps I could create a key to map the Entry No from G/L Entry to the range number that it belongs to in G/L Register?

Anonymous
Not applicable

By the way, if you create the relationship, then you can use this (the fastest option with DAX):

[Creation Date] = RELATED( 'G/L Register[Creation Date] )

Best

Darek

Sounds great. However right now I am struggling with the creation of a key to map the entry no with the number on G/L Register that represents the relevant range.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You should do it in PowerQuery and I assume this is what you do. Certainly, there are myriads of articles on the net about how to do this as it must be a very common thing to do in PQ. Just a matter of a good search...

Best
Darek

No luck so far... 🙂 

But thanks for your inputs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If in trouble, please find the relevant forum on PowerQuery and post your question. You can also try people like Chris Webb, Marco Russo, Matt Arlington...

Best

Darek

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you absolutely should if you can. Calculations based on physical relationships are 10-100x faster than without them.

But you also could create the column in your ETL layer, which would be the best solution possible.

Best
Darek

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors