Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help with Cascading Filters in Paginated reports using Tabular Model

Hi,

I wanted to apply the 3 cascading filters in my report, however i see the duplicate values in the Department filter. How to get the DISTINCT values in the 3rd filter.

EVALUATE SUMMARIZECOLUMNS('Company'[Company], 'Region'[Region], 'Department'[Department], "Actual", [Actual])

I have gone through this blog https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/paginated-report-cascading-parameter and understood that i need to use distinct,I tried to apply in the above query and received error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
technolog
Super User
Super User

For your DAX query, if you're seeing duplicate values for 'Department', it's likely because there are multiple rows with the same department but different 'Company' or 'Region' values. To get distinct values for 'Department', you can modify your DAX query using the DISTINCT function.

Here's a way to do it:

EVALUATE
SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(
'Company'[Company],
'Region'[Region],
DISTINCT('Department'[Department]),
"Actual", [Actual]
)
However, if you're using cascading filters, you might want to ensure that the 'Department' filter is only showing values relevant to the selected 'Company' and 'Region'. In that case, you'd need to modify the query to consider the selected values of the first two filters. But for now, the above modification should give you distinct 'Department' values.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
technolog
Super User
Super User

For your DAX query, if you're seeing duplicate values for 'Department', it's likely because there are multiple rows with the same department but different 'Company' or 'Region' values. To get distinct values for 'Department', you can modify your DAX query using the DISTINCT function.

Here's a way to do it:

EVALUATE
SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(
'Company'[Company],
'Region'[Region],
DISTINCT('Department'[Department]),
"Actual", [Actual]
)
However, if you're using cascading filters, you might want to ensure that the 'Department' filter is only showing values relevant to the selected 'Company' and 'Region'. In that case, you'd need to modify the query to consider the selected values of the first two filters. But for now, the above modification should give you distinct 'Department' values.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors