Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

daturner

Need assistance in performing a % change function on newly created Measure in a LIVE Direct Query

Hello Community - new to Power BI and I am working in a report that is Live connected to SQL making measures challenging (at least for me). I have created a measure that Sums a quantity for the previous 3 months (ie - "MS - Pvs 3M Tons" associated with a July column in a table visual returns the Apr-Jun total). I would like to create a measure that will allow me to compare this new measure at different points. Example: what is the Previous 3 Month total in April compared to the Previous 3 Month total in July as a % change between the 2 selected periods? 

Unfortunately with a Live Query I am unable to build "Tables". Any suggestions? 

thanks for any support! 

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've heard that Power BI can now host mixed models: some data can come from the live connection to the data source and some data can be stored into native Power BI tables.

Would that not help you?

By the way, if you want to compare the same measure between two arbitrarily chosen points of time, then you'd have to be able to create a matrix of dates (rows and columns with dates) and drop a measure on the matrix. This is not possible with if your design is not suited to this kind of analysis. To do this you'd need 2 date tables (one could be disconnected or both) from which to choose your points of time independently and then you'd need a measure that senses selections in them and creates the correct calculation.

Best

Darek

thanks for your reply @Anonymous - I don't think I can do a mixed model on a Live Connection. For sure, it is not listed as an option under Preview Features. Unless there is some other way? 

I think I have to do this with a new measure filtered to specific fiscal months but don't know how to build it in this case. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

But I think you can 🙂

Please refer to this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-composite-models

Best

Darek

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors