Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gwright15
Helper I
Helper I

Most recent value based on two variables

Good evening

I have looking to create a formula to find the latest stock valuation on a product by product basis.

I have a field which identifies the last date and time, which i have used for a filter.  However, we can have multiple transaction recorded with the same date and time.

We have a second field call unique id.  However, this value is reset every month then.

Therefore, i need to understand if we can have a dax formula to identify the max date, and then the max unique ID.

By current formula is:

Current_Valuation = calculate(SUMX(Stock_Value,Stock_Value[newcost]),filter(Stock_Value,Stock_Value[New Date]=MAX(Stock_Value[New Date])))

I have tried this formula, but as some of the unique id can be higher in other periods, it doesn't always return a value.  For example on 31 July 2019, as unique id could be 456678, but on 1 August, the unique id resets, and now could read 345.

Current_Valuation = calculate(SUMX(Stock_Value,Stock_Value[newcost]),filter(Stock_Value,Stock_Value[New Date]=MAX(Stock_Value[New Date]) && Stock_Value[uniqueno]=max(Stock_Value[uniqueno])))

2 REPLIES 2
SteveCampbell
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

If I understand, you're trying to get the latest date, and the max id associated with that date?

Using variables will make this easier to read. Additionally, SUMX is a row iterator, and can be quite slow on large data sets.

Try this:

Current_Valuation =
var _MaxDate = MAX(Stock_Value[New Date]) var _MaxID = CALCULATE(MAX(Stock_Value[uniqueno]),Stock_Value[New Date] = _MaxDate) RETURN CALCULATE(SUM(Stock_Value[newcost]) ,Stock_Value[New Date]=_MaxDate ,Stock_Value[uniqueno]=_MaxID )

Love hearing about Power BI tips, jobs and news?
I love to share about these - connect with me!

Stay up to date on  linkedin-logo.png
Read my blogs on  powerbi.tips_.png

Remember to spread knowledge in the community when you can! tu.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

Thank you - this helps to select the right values.  I have used the same fomula to calculate by quantity also:

Current_Quantity = 
var _MaxDate = MAX(Stock_Value[New Date]) 
var _MaxID = CALCULATE(MAX(Stock_Value[uniqueno]),Stock_Value[New Date] = _MaxDate) 
RETURN 
CALCULATE(SUM(Stock_Value[lev]) ,Stock_Value,Stock_Value[New Date]=_MaxDate,Stock_Value[uniqueno]=_MaxID )

It does create a couple of additional queries:

Firstly, the sum correctly - for example, total quantity states 50, rather than something 417,380

Secondly, they a filter the data by a product type rather than a stock code, this doesn't work.  Is this were SUMX would work.

Can you help me?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors