Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mixing Iterative with Non Iterative Functions

Hey,

I have a formula which calculates, at a customer by customer level, the value of their business if new. I need to use a sumx for this to iterate down the customer table in order to check if it is a new customer within the date period selected.

Wins (Current Year) = 
var Comp1Sel = SELECTEDVALUE('Measure Select'[Measure Select])
var Comp2Sel = SELECTEDVALUE('Measure Select (Second Table)'[Measure Select]) 
var mindate = STARTOFYEAR('Date Mapping'[Month])
var maxdate = ENDOFYEAR('Date Mapping'[Month])
return

if(Comp1Sel="Prior Year",

sumx('BU Master Data',CALCULATE([Comparator 2],'BU Master Data'[Open Month (No Blanks)]>=mindate,'BU Master Data'[Open Month (No Blanks)]<=maxdate) - 
                      CALCULATE([Comparator 1],'BU Master Data'[Open Month (No Blanks)]>=mindate,'BU Master Data'[Open Month (No Blanks)]<=maxdate))

sumx('BU Master Data',if(CALCULATE([Comparator 1 Exists?],'BU Master Data'[Open Month (No Blanks)]>=mindate,'BU Master Data'[Open Month (No Blanks)]<=maxdate)=0,
                         CALCULATE([Comparator 2],'BU Master Data'[Open Month (No Blanks)]>=mindate,'BU Master Data'[Open Month (No Blanks)]<=maxdate),0))

)
-CALCULATE([Comparator 1],'BU Master Data'[BU Parent Group]="Unknown Wins")

I also have multiple other efficiency formulas. These cannot be a SUMX as the total by each customer will not tie to the total across the business due to blended rates. 

F&B Efficiency = 'Non Core Measures: Walk & Efficiencies'[Comparator 2 Revenue (Efficiency)]*(([Comparator GP % (Efficiency)]-[Comparator 2 GP % (Efficiency)]))

I need to subtract the new business formula from my efficiency formulas, as I do not want new business included within those rates. Is this possible given one is iterative and one is not? I cannot flag if a customer is new business as a column, as it'll be based on a users selection from the date table, so needs to be dynamic.

Any help would be really appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I would create an entirely separate measure to cover your last scenario. Re-using measures is not good practice anyway.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I would create an entirely separate measure to cover your last scenario. Re-using measures is not good practice anyway.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I'm very interested in why reusing measures is not good practice. I couldn't find anything to support this on Google but would love to understand why. Is it performance related at all? My model uses a sort of cascading waterfall of measures where my first measure does a lot of the generic work, looking for selected values etc and then the next level down will be more specific to that measure. I know I will have at least 10 levels in some scenarios so just wondering if that is bad news performance wise?

A measure most of the time includes some sort of context transition, new context creation or context replacement. Do that in a nested fashion and you are at risk of doing a lot of unnecessary work, losing your plot, or both. Not to mention the troubleshooting nightmare when performance goes sideways.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Will try and do some more reading on it

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors