Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

james_pease
Helper III
Helper III

MinX and MaxX on a Measure while filtering for a Category

Hello everyone and thank you in Advance. I am still fairly new to DAX and starting to get the grasp of it. I am still having a problem trying to use the Min and Max commands (I tried MIN, MINA, MINX, etc) when applying the forumla on a measure. I believe I need to use MINX and MAXX since it refers to a measure. I might need to make these measure in the table I am referencing the measure too (I had to do this for RANKX to work) but Im honestly not sure as I have tried that as well. Here is my syntax:

Food Cost Max = IF([Cost %]>0, MAXX(FILTER(ChartOfAcounts, [Category] = "Food Cost"), All_Actual_Expenses[Cost %]))

For context, Cost % is a measure that divides Revenues by Expenses. We assigned Category Numbers to each expense and Revenue. The categories are outlined in a different table.

So basically I am trying to create Mins and Maxs for Food Cost, Labor cost, and Gross Cost to be able to set up an 'Outliers' Group to put into a different visual. The idea is for this visualization to consistly show outliers.

However, I cant get there unless I fix the Max and Min formulas. I am expecting to see the Min be 30.85% and the Max be 37.37% (I have circled these in the image below).

james_pease_1-1660696872750.png

Here are results with the above formula

james_pease_2-1660696990197.png

Again, thanks in advance!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@james_pease 
Please try

Food Cost Max =
MAXX (
    CALCULATETABLE (
        VALUES ( ChartOfAcounts[Store_ID] ),
        'ChartOfAccounts'[Category] = "Food Cost"
    ),
    CALCULATE ( [Cost %], 'ChartOfAccounts'[Category] = "Food Cost" )
)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
james_pease
Helper III
Helper III

Also, I am using a data slicer to filter the 5 companies separetly. So I am looking to pull the outliers for each company separetly. So I will be making 5 separate visualizations or 1 visualizations but have the min and max be categorized by each company. I think that is a simple filter(company name that I can add to the mins and maxs formulas.

@james_pease 
Yes should not be an issue. Have you tried my proposed formula?

james_pease
Helper III
Helper III

Category is a Column from a table named 'ChartOfAccounts'

@james_pease 
Please try

Food Cost Max =
MAXX (
    CALCULATETABLE (
        VALUES ( ChartOfAcounts[Store_ID] ),
        'ChartOfAccounts'[Category] = "Food Cost"
    ),
    CALCULATE ( [Cost %], 'ChartOfAccounts'[Category] = "Food Cost" )
)

Thank you so much! I only had to modify the Store ID section (we have stores in a different table) but worked like a charm! Thanks again! Now I can replicate the formula for the other cost measures and add a filter clause to ensure each company is being calculated separately. 

james_pease
Helper III
Helper III

Sorry, should have clarified, yes each dot represents a store. So we graphed them with cost % on the y axis and revenue on the x axis. I know that it should be flipped as revenus is the dependant variable but thats how the company wanted it graphed.

@james_pease 
Is [Category] a column or a measure?

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @james_pease 

what does each dot represent? A store?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors