Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joetech
Helper I
Helper I

Min date where date is greater than help

Hi Guys,

I've got a weird one. I've got two tables linked. I have an accounts table im creating a custom column based on their first item created (from a different item table), but I want the first item created after they start.

I'm doing the following calculated column on the accounts:

Earliest Response = CALCULATE(MINX('items',[created]), FILTER('items', 'Account'[startdate] < 'items'[created] && 'account'[id] = 'items'[accountid]))

All of the accounts are unique, and an account will have multiple items of course.

It appears my filter of 'Account'[startdate] < 'items'[created] is being ignored entirely.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Richard_100
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello

If I understand correctly, this is a row context thing.  Your calculated column is in Account but it is iterating Item within the FILTER function and it doesn't know which AccountID it needs.  So you can bring that in with a variable

This is my dummy setup:

Richard_100_0-1644321301389.png

They are related via Account ID but I'm not using that relationship.  You could probably achieve the below result with RELATEDTABLE, but I've done it this way:

MIN Item Created Date = 
VAR Acc_ID = Account[Accountid]
VAR Acc_Start = Account[Start Date]
VAR Tab = FILTER('Item', 'Item'[Accountid]=Acc_ID && 'Item'[created]>=Acc_Start)
RETURN MINX(Tab, 'Item'[created])

MIN Item Lookup = 
VAR Tar_Date = Account[MIN Item Created Date]
VAR Tab = FILTER('Item', 'Item'[created]=Tar_Date)
RETURN MINX(Tab, 'Item'[itemid])

Richard_100_1-1644321446011.png

The variables grab what you need from the row of Account in order to filter Item within the FILTER function.  I lookup the min date first, and then use that to identify the Item ID.  If you had multiple items on the same created date, it would return the min Item ID within that subset

Hope that helps

Regards

Richard

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Richard_100
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello

If I understand correctly, this is a row context thing.  Your calculated column is in Account but it is iterating Item within the FILTER function and it doesn't know which AccountID it needs.  So you can bring that in with a variable

This is my dummy setup:

Richard_100_0-1644321301389.png

They are related via Account ID but I'm not using that relationship.  You could probably achieve the below result with RELATEDTABLE, but I've done it this way:

MIN Item Created Date = 
VAR Tab = FILTER('Item', 'Item'[Accountid]=Acc_ID && 'Item'[created]>=Acc_Start)
RETURN MINX(Tab, 'Item'[created])

MIN Item Lookup = 
VAR Tar_Date = Account[MIN Item Created Date]
VAR Tab = FILTER('Item', 'Item'[created]=Tar_Date)
RETURN MINX(Tab, 'Item'[itemid])

Richard_100_1-1644321446011.png

The variables grab what you need from the row of Account in order to filter Item within the FILTER function.  I lookup the min date first, and then use that to identify the Item ID.  If you had multiple items on the same created date, it would return the min Item ID within that subset

Hope that helps

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

For some reason, it was the > between dates that wasn't working. I ended up creating a column on item that took the date from the account, then another that said if item date was greater than created date than 1, else 0, and then I did the filter on the 1 instead of the dates. Sloppy, but it worked.

Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @joetech - It might help to upload a sample pbix with the issue, or you show some sample data and your date model to help understand your problem.

Many thanks

Daryl

Hi Daryl, I can't really provide a model, but essentially its something like:

Item table

Accountiditemidcreated
4561232/3/2020
4561241/1/2020
45621312/1/2019
9525318/5/2020

Account Table

AccountidStart Date
1231/1/2020
4562/2/2020
7894/12/2020
1638/4/2020
9528/5/2020

Essentially, I want a custom column on the account table giving me the minimum date from the item table for that account, that is higher than the start date on the account table.. so for 456 it would be 2/3/2020

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors