Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Imad-R
Frequent Visitor

Measure that depends on two other measures that themselves depend on filters

Hello,

Before talking about my problem here is the data :

IDName productQty (per unit)PriceTotalWeek
1Tomato52 €10 €W-1
2Apple61,50 €9 €W-1
3Fish33 €9 €W-1
4Chicken25 €10 €W-1
5Orange92 €18 €W-1
6Fish41,50 €6 €W-2
7Chicken15 €5 €W-2
8Apple71,50 €11 €W-2
9Carrot31 €3 €W-2
10Egg120,30 €4 €W-2

The following two tables will be useful for filtering :

Week F1
W-1
W-2

Week F2
W-1
W-2

The relationship is as follows :

ImadR_0-1668553866297.png

After that I create 3 measure. I made a sum on everything that was bought in the first chosen week and another sum for the second week, and the last measure is the difference between the two measure. My problem is that when I change the filter nothing changes on the third measurement

ImadR_1-1668555271180.png

except when the filters are selected on the same values.

ImadR_2-1668555308587.png

I don't understand why this doesn't work and I have checked by managing the filter interactions but nothing works.

Please I need your help !!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Imad-R , One of the tables need to be independent

refer

How to use two Date/Period slicers

https://youtu.be/WSeZr_-MiTg

Compare Categorical Data Using Slicers - Compare two Brands: https://youtu.be/exN4nTewgbc

View solution in original post

Hi @Imad-R ,

Relationships play an important role in power bi, and in many cases the correct configuration of relationships also affects the display of results. In your case, the existence of two week tables filtering the same table and establishing relationships can lead to conflicting filtering. Therefore, the relationship needs to be removed.
For documentation related to relationships see the following, which I hope will help you:

Relationship troubleshooting guidance - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Model relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Imad-R , One of the tables need to be independent

refer

How to use two Date/Period slicers

https://youtu.be/WSeZr_-MiTg

Compare Categorical Data Using Slicers - Compare two Brands: https://youtu.be/exN4nTewgbc

Hello and thank you for your response I've found the problem. I just deleted the relationships and know it's worked. But I don't understand exactly why I had to delete the relationships. Can you explain me, please?

Hi @Imad-R ,

Relationships play an important role in power bi, and in many cases the correct configuration of relationships also affects the display of results. In your case, the existence of two week tables filtering the same table and establishing relationships can lead to conflicting filtering. Therefore, the relationship needs to be removed.
For documentation related to relationships see the following, which I hope will help you:

Relationship troubleshooting guidance - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Model relationships in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors