Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Measure not recognizing columns

I am very inexperienced with DAX and I get confused when I try to create a measure and I cant reference a coulmn from a table that I want.

For example if i want to use an "If" Statement with a date it wont let me reference the date column or the date table.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you reference a column in a measure, you must wrap the column in an aggregation function like MIN, MAX, SUM, AVERAGE, etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
MDKCLIRResearch
Helper III
Helper III

Why bother having a DAX function named TRIM() if it cannot find any text column that you supply?  What is the point?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you reference a column in a measure, you must wrap the column in an aggregation function like MIN, MAX, SUM, AVERAGE, etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hello, 

I have a question concerning your solution. I want to get the value of "visit24hrs" for today for each title in my report. I now used this formula: 

result = CALCULATE(SUM(AnalyticsView[Visits24h]), FILTER(ALL( AnalyticsView), (Date(2023,03,02) = AnalyticsView[Date]))) 

In my chart I use for Y Title and for X result. BUT then I get the same number (the summed result) for each Title. 
Question: How can I display the result for an Item in my chart? Without the "sum" in the formula I am not able to use Visits24hrs in the measure (it says it can not regognize the column)

@Greg_Deckler I have the same issue but I'm not sure I understand your solution.

I'm trying to use Switch(True() to have conditions on a date column before some calculations, but it's not working as you can see below:

Aymane_0-1651069304080.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

What does it mean to wrap them?  I am having this issue as well.

you have to do it like that: 

Measure = sume(table[column])

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any idea if there's a similar solution for string/text values?

I'm having a lot of trouble with creating logical expressions based on text in measure fields.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, that makes a lot of sense now

Where is the solution to this? Having the same problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors