Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bfaws
Helper III
Helper III

Measure for rolling 12 month average

Hi,

I`m looking for a measure to calculate average Full time equivalent (FTE) over a 12 month rolling period.  I have a table that shows the sum of FTE for each month.  What I would like is an additional column which shows the previous 12 month rolling average.

Please see what first table looks like:

Power BI community (3) 02.06.2020.PNG

And this is the expected result:

Power BI community (4) 02.06.2020.PNG

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brendan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I see,

Rolling12month = 
var v_dates =  DATESINPERIOD( Rolling_Calendar_Lookup[Date]; MAX( Rolling_Calendar_Lookup[Date] ); -12;  MONTH )
return
AVERAGEX(v_dates;[sum FTE])

rt.png

Power BI file here.

Hope it helps. 

Kind regards,

Steve. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
harshnathani
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Bfaws ,

You can try this measure.

12monthsRollingAvg =

var _a = MAX('Table'[Report Date])
var _12months = Minx(DATEADD('Table'[Report Date],-12,MONTH),'Table'[Report Date])
Return

//To get average of all the report Dates
//CALCULATE(Average('Table'[Sum of FTE]), Filter(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Report Date] <=_a && 'Table'[Report Date] > _12months))

//To get Average Dates where previous data of 12 months is available
SWITCH(
TRUE(),
CountROWS(FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Report Date] <=_a && 'Table'[Report Date] > _12months)) = 12,CALCULATE(Average('Table'[Sum of FTE]), Filter(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Report Date] <=_a && 'Table'[Report Date] > _12months))
)

1.jpg

Regards,

Harsh Nathani

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)

stevedep
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

See;

Rolling12month = CALCULATE(    AVERAGE( 'Table'[Sum of FTE]);    DATESINPERIOD( 'Date'[Date]; MAX( 'Date'[Date] ); -12;  MONTH ))

rolling.png

Power BI file is here

Some tweaking might be needed because the RT needs to be calculated on an aggregate. Pls share detailed data in case this does not work. 

Kind regards,

Steve.  

Hi Steve, 

Thanks for the response. I have tried this but dont quite get the result.  This is probably my fault though as I think i have over-simplied the information provided.  I have set up a pbix file which mirrors the real file in terms of format of data loaded and model structure.  Can you please have another look.

Much appreciated.

Brendan

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtGISPtZ7ajKgQDjcO06sW8SzOPn?e=wHVvjS 

I see,

Rolling12month = 
var v_dates =  DATESINPERIOD( Rolling_Calendar_Lookup[Date]; MAX( Rolling_Calendar_Lookup[Date] ); -12;  MONTH )
return
AVERAGEX(v_dates;[sum FTE])

rt.png

Power BI file here.

Hope it helps. 

Kind regards,

Steve. 

Steve,

Hopefully you're still active. How would I write this so that it ignores my Date slicer and continues to average back past the 1st date shown? For example, in OPs example April 2017 is average as just one month, but I would like to average the 12 months prior to April 2017.

Thanks

Hi Steve, 

Many thanks.  That's worked exactly as expected.

Brendan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors