Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FrankieVee
Frequent Visitor

Measure Total Incorrect When Filtering

I have a measure that currently multiplies two columns, each from its own table. The output works as desired, but when filtering to a particular company (using a slicer visual) the Total at the bottom does not change. I've attempted a few solutions I found from similar posts here, as well as other sites, but still no luck. 

Here is the current table filtered to a single company (items vary). The Product Catalog Cost is my measure, as you can see from the incorrect total:

FrankieVee_0-1623937687310.png

My measure:

Product Catalog Cost = SUMX(TableA,TableA[currentcost]) * (SUMX(TableB,TableB[agd_qty]))

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you, Frank V.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@FrankieVee 

I'm assuming TableA[Company], TableA[ItemID] are the fields determining the filter context in your visual above:

Product Catalog Cost =
SUMX (
    SUMMARIZE( TableA, TableA[Company], TableA[ItemID] ),
    CALCULATE ( SUM ( TableA[currentcost] ) )
        * CALCULATE ( SUM ( TableB[agd_qty] ) )
)

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaulOlding
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I think it'll be hard to diagnose the issue without seeing the model.

One thing that does spring to mind is the summing of currentcost and agd_qty are happening separately in your measure, but it looks like currentcost can be zero. 

At the total level this probably isn't working.  Consider the row with agd_qty = 35.  That 35 will be part of the sum of agd_qty and will be multiplied by the total of currentcost.  Should the measure be multiplying agd_qty and currentcost per item first, then summing the result?

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @FrankieVee 

Please show sample of TableA and TableB (relevant columns) and what exactly the desired measure should be calculating: the multiplication of which two columns? The values you show in the rightmost column in the table are exactly the same as those in the Agreement _Cost column

Are the two leftmost visible columns in the table visual measures? If so, show the code

Are TableA and TableB related? How?

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

This screenshot might be more relevant. I've taken out the Agreement Cost column (which isn't involved with my measure) and instead added the current cost column next to the quantity. Maybe this will help in understanding. 

FrankieVee_0-1624370581146.png

This also shows that the totals are still multiplying. My measure's total is the multiplication of the AGD_Qty and CurrentCost columns (as is in my measure's formula). 

@FrankieVee 

I'm assuming TableA[Company], TableA[ItemID] are the fields determining the filter context in your visual above:

Product Catalog Cost =
SUMX (
    SUMMARIZE( TableA, TableA[Company], TableA[ItemID] ),
    CALCULATE ( SUM ( TableA[currentcost] ) )
        * CALCULATE ( SUM ( TableB[agd_qty] ) )
)

SU18_powerbi_badge

This did the trick! Thank you so much!

Hello, sorry for the late response! 

I'm looking to multiple the "current cost" (found in TableA) by the quantity (found in TableB). The multiplication works as desired, my issue however is when filtering, the total at the bottom does not match. For example, in my OP's screenshot the total comes out to be 78,885.10, when it should be 1287.60. 

The Agreement Cost is a column from the original table, and is not a measure. The only measure in my screenshot is the Product Catalog Cost.

The tables have a relationship between the Item ID. 

Hope this helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors