Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rjs2
Resolver I
Resolver I

Max sequence number filtered

The data I am working has a parent sequence number and a child sequence number.  I want to be able to return the max sequence number filtered on a date.

I have tried many diffent ways to accomplish this with no success.

I have been able to count the child sequence number with a filter on the parent sequence number and the date):

Test = calculate(counta('TABLE'[CHILD_SEQ]),FILTER(ALL('TABLE'),'TABLE'[PARENT_SEQ]=EARLIER('TABLE'[PARENT_SEQ]) && 'TABLE'[CHILD_SEQ_DATE]=EARLIER('TABLE'[CHILD_SEQ_DATE])))

This returns a count of child sequence number that are on the same date.   I now want to return the maximum child sequence number on the row that has the maximum child sequence number and nothing for any row that is not a maximum, based on the filter above.

Everytime I try to use an if statement i get: The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value

Thanks!

RJ
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Took some time, but I solved it.  It was easier to stop into it with two columns

First new column:

Max on Day = CALCULATE(MAX('Vetting Query'[CHILD_SEQ]),ALL('TABLE'),'TABLE'[PARENT_SEQ]=EARLIER('TABLE'[PARENT_SEQ]) && 'TABLE'[CHILD_SEQ_DATE]=EARLIER('TABLE'[CHILD_SEQ_DATE]))

This gave me the max sequence number for the child sequence per day on every row related to that parrent seq.

Second new column:

Number Processed = if('TABLE[Max on Day]='TABLE[CHILD_SEQ],'Vetting Query'[CHILD_SEQ],"")

The Number Processed will only have the Max CHILD_SEQ on the row of the Max sequence number and a blank if its not the max sequence number.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
rjs2
Resolver I
Resolver I

I tried this as well:

Test2 = VAR SEQ= CALCULATE(MAX('Vetting Query'[CHILD_SEQ]),ALL('TABLE'),'TABLE'[PARENT_SEQ]=EARLIER('TABLE'[PARENT_SEQ]) && 'TABLE'[CHILD_SEQ_DATE]=EARLIER('TABLE'[CHILD_SEQ_DATE]))
Return
SEQ

This is the error I get:

The expression contains multiple columns, but only a single column can be used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression.

Took some time, but I solved it.  It was easier to stop into it with two columns

First new column:

Max on Day = CALCULATE(MAX('Vetting Query'[CHILD_SEQ]),ALL('TABLE'),'TABLE'[PARENT_SEQ]=EARLIER('TABLE'[PARENT_SEQ]) && 'TABLE'[CHILD_SEQ_DATE]=EARLIER('TABLE'[CHILD_SEQ_DATE]))

This gave me the max sequence number for the child sequence per day on every row related to that parrent seq.

Second new column:

Number Processed = if('TABLE[Max on Day]='TABLE[CHILD_SEQ],'Vetting Query'[CHILD_SEQ],"")

The Number Processed will only have the Max CHILD_SEQ on the row of the Max sequence number and a blank if its not the max sequence number.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors