Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

xkoby001
Frequent Visitor

Matrix Visual - Filter/Exclude/Hide empty/blank multi level column measure

Hi guys!

I need your wisdom, please! 😊

There is a data model, which I represent in Matrix visualisation, it contains multiple-level rows and columns values, see Pic 1:

xkoby001_1-1646843231158.png
Pic 1 - Matrix visualisation

I defined some measures - A/B simple one, but I need to show it under [Version] = "ACT" only, so I put a condition contains "Filter" function into it, here u can see it on Pic 2:

xkoby001_2-1646843568412.png
Pic 2 - "vs_BG%" measure definition

Measures appear in every single [Version], but only "ACT" contains not blank values. Its almost there, but my ideal state is on Pic 3:

xkoby001_3-1646844860726.png
Pic 3 - Ideal state

I need to suppress empty items, because calculated measures have to be under "ACT" [Version] only, other [Versions] have to contain "Value" only.

I used this definition in Excels Power Pivot and it works the way I want, but PBIs behaviour is different.

xkoby001_1-1646847558066.png
Pic 4 - Excels DAX measure Test in Pivot Table

xkoby001_2-1646847648461.png
Pic 5 - Measures definition in Power Pivot

Could you please suggest me, how can I reach my ideal state?

Thanks in advance! 😄 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @xkoby001 ,

I'm afraid that there is no elegant way to implement it. Anyway, you can use the following method as a workaround...

hiding columns in Matrix

Power BI > Hide NULL or BLANK values in Matrix visual

1. Toggle off the Word wrap option under the Column headers tab

yingyinr_0-1647928147490.png

2. Adjust the size of the Values field(s) with all blank values (for example: vs_BG%) you need to hide small enough to be invisible manually 

yingyinr_1-1647928419567.png

And you can share some sample data and your expected result with backend logic and special examples. It is better if you can provide a simplified pbix file. Later we can provide you a suitable solution base on your provided info. Thank you.

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @xkoby001 

In thr filter pane adjust the settings for the ACT measure as Not Is Blank. I don't have a clear idea about the complicity of your report therefore you might need to lock the filter of some othe measure using the lock icon at the corner of each measure in the filter pane

Hi @tamerj1 !

Thank you for reaction, but unfortunatelly it distorts reality (if ACT is blank, but BG is not).

Thank you! 🙂

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@xkoby001 , Based on what I got

You need if (isblank([Your measure]), [New measure],[Measure])

Hi @amitchandak ! Thank you for reaction!

Could you please give me more details, should I define a new one measure, which will combine my current measures?

Because two fields [PeriodAnalysis] and [Version] are text fields, they are in Column part of matrix.

[Value] in Values part of matrix contains fact values, [vs_XX%] are calculated measures.

xkoby001_0-1647360652294.png

Hi @xkoby001 ,

I'm afraid that there is no elegant way to implement it. Anyway, you can use the following method as a workaround...

hiding columns in Matrix

Power BI > Hide NULL or BLANK values in Matrix visual

1. Toggle off the Word wrap option under the Column headers tab

yingyinr_0-1647928147490.png

2. Adjust the size of the Values field(s) with all blank values (for example: vs_BG%) you need to hide small enough to be invisible manually 

yingyinr_1-1647928419567.png

And you can share some sample data and your expected result with backend logic and special examples. It is better if you can provide a simplified pbix file. Later we can provide you a suitable solution base on your provided info. Thank you.

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors