Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marking Today's Date with a Line on the Line Chart

Hello!

I have this line chart and was asked to mark today's date with a vertical line (same one that appears when the mouse point rolls over).  Is it possible to do that? I've created a "today's date" column, but not sure how to make it work.

Thank you!

Capture2.JPG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Anonymous glad to help, feel free to reach out if need any assistance. Accept the solution if it is working as expected so that others can take advantage of it.

Cheers,

Parv

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

@Anonymous oh that table is created using DAX under Data Table

go to modelling tab, click new table  and add expression to create the table

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k 

Parv,

Sorry for being so dumb, but I can't figure out how you created the Calendar table in the solution you'd sent. The column "Date" in particular. i see from the icon, that it's not a Measure and not a Calculated column, but the table itself has a formula.

Calendar = CALENDAR( DATE( 2017,1,1), DATE(2019,12,31))
I tried to "Get Data" from 'Blank Query" and use the formula, but that didn't work. Please help!

@Anonymous oh that table is created using DAX under Data Table

go to modelling tab, click new table  and add expression to create the table

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k  Thank you! I was making it more difficult than it is 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Line.jpgMine.jpg

@parry2k  Sorry! 2 more questions: 1. On your chart Today shows as a column in 'Column values" section. On mine it gives me an option for a Count, Sum, etc. How do I display it as a just "Today".

2. You have "Tooltip" in the "Tooltips" section. How is that done?

thank you!

@Anonymous Today is a measure, not a column.

Today = 

VAR __released = MAXX( ALLSELECTED( 'Calendar'[Date] ), [Released] )
VAR __disbursements = MAXX( ALLSELECTED( 'Calendar'[Date] ), [Disbursements] )
RETURN
IF( 
    MAX( 'Calendar'[Date] ) = TODAY(), 
    MAX( __released, __disbursements ) 
) * 1.05 --multiply with factor to get longer bar

For tooltip, here is the post

If you still need assistance, please reach out to by email (on my signature) and I can walk you thru screen sharing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @parry2k ,

I hope you are doing well. Thank you for being our mentor.

I'm running into similar situation where I need to create a vertical line showing current date. I followed this conversation and managed to create the vertical line.

However, the two lines generated using measures became straight horizontal lines (instead of showing actual curves). Could you please have a look and point me to the right direction?

I appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Hieu

Date line issue.PNG

@Anonymous can you share what are the measure for those lines and how your data model looks like? Were those lines working before you added today's vertical line?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @parry2k ,

The measures for those lines are: 

PlannedRemain = SUM( Table1[Planned Meters Remaining] )
ActualRemain = SUM( table1[Actual Meters Remaining] )
//the column names has changed in our new data set but it shouldn't affect anything.
I also calculated a table named "Calendar" as well as measure "Today" 
Calendar = CALENDAR(DATE(2019,09,1), DATE(2021,07,30))
Today =
VAR __planned = MAXX( ALLSELECTED( 'Calendar'[Date] ), [PlannedRemain] )
VAR __actual = MAXX( ALLSELECTED( 'Calendar'[Date] ), [ActualRemain] )
RETURN
IF(
MAX( 'Calendar'[Date] ) = TODAY(),
MAX( __planned, __actual )
) * 1.0
The lines displayed nicely when I used "Wk No" (week number) instead of "Date" in Shared axis. But then the "Today" bar wasn't displayed since there's no reference to date. Please see attached screenshot.
Looks like I'm having trouble with Date table and its relationship.
Thank you for your time.
Cheers,
Hugh
Date line issue 2.PNG
Date line issue 3.PNG
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous yes this can be achieved by writing some measures. How does your data model looks like? Do you have seperate date dimensions? What is the expression for these two measures you showed in line visual?

Anonymous
Not applicable

ALL-2018.JPG

Capture2.JPG@parry2k  I only have one table for this particular line chart called 'Data'. The fields are use are highlighted in the screen shot - I don't use measures for this chart. I have created Today Column hoping to use it to create the line.

@Anonymous can you send sample data in excel, shared thru google drive/onedrive and send back you the solution. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k  Here is the file that I use for that report:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E28Ms4cDgqQPXbpZRBlzAvKzqXxbYZZL

Thank you very much! Enjoy your weekend!

Ana

@Anonymous will have something to you soon. You too, enjoy your weekend. and keep an eye on reply to this post 🙂

CHeers,

P

@Anonymous would this work?

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k I am so sorry i missed your post from Friday - never recieved an email notification. Yes! That would work perfectly! How did you go about it?

thanks!

@Anonymous here you go, see attached

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @parry2k I downloaded your solution file and got it working - I needed to add a new column for Date2 based on your date +700 because it is now about 2yrs after your dates (so 'today' wasn't showing up).

However my 'today' bar is very thick, not like yours which is a line - just what I want.

Greatly appreciated if you or anyone could share how to make the column a thin vertical line.

Blue column is today but should be a thin line.Blue column is today but should be a thin line.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k actually no, just realised I didn't get it working in your solution, but I got it working in mine - just the thick line rather than thin line. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are a genius! Thank you very much. I am new to Power BI and learing on my own as I go. Your help is very much appreciated. Have a great weekend!

Ana

@Anonymous glad to help, feel free to reach out if need any assistance. Accept the solution if it is working as expected so that others can take advantage of it.

Cheers,

Parv

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors